I Thought You Were Dead

She texted her wife after work to let her know she wouldn't arrive at the station. Instead, she planned to pick up Sam and they would go shopping together. It was a nice bonding activity for them both, and at thirty weeks, Carina knew they had to get started buying things. Earlier, she had asked Maya if she should wait until all of them could go together, but Maya told her to go.

She wanted the two women to spend time together and shopping wasn't her thing. Carina had told her she would wait until Maya was with her before doing anything big. As soon as she pulled up to their apartment, Sam was already waiting.

"Hey, sorry, I was trying to get out here as fast as I could, but as you know, bladders are unpredictable these days." Sam laughed as she got into the car. Carina snorted.

"That's something I'm all too familiar with." A light laugh escaped her lips. "One of the downsides of pregnancy. It's both that and hormones. Those could be done without."

"Seriously." Sam agreed. "The other day, I scared your brother by crying when my dinner burned in the microwave." She laughed softly.

"That's better than crying over an animal commercial." Carina laughed softly as Sam looked at her. "That was embarrassing."

--------

For a quick look, the two women visited a resale shop for children's items in the town. Carina looked at Sam as they walked through the doors. "First of all, I don't recommend buying bottles or pacifiers from a resale shop. They've been used before, so you can never be too careful."

In agreement, Sam nodded her head. "You make a good point there. Is there anything else?" She asked. Carina thought for a moment before shaking her head.

"That's the only thing I can think of right now." She shrugged. They began to look around. Because there were so many choices of everything, both women were overwhelmed by the selections.

"Carina, you should get one of these if you don't already have one." Sam said as she looked at the pregnancy pillows. "I got one a few weeks ago and it helps me sleep, but I don't think your brother likes it." She laughed softly.

Carina shook her head. "Maya wouldn't like it either. It would end up being a buffer and I like my cuddles. One of us would probably launch it and it would end up on the floor." Although Carina would have loved some better sleep, she knew the pillow would only last five seconds. The two of them headed over to the diaper bags, once again overwhelmed by the selections.

"I like these types of bags." Sam said, looking at the price tag on it. The backpack looked like an actual backpack and was gray in color. Carina nodded in agreement. The style was also appealing to her.

"This is the style I was considering. Almost anything will go with it." Carina responded. Her eyes scanned the color choices for a moment. "The question is, what color should I choose?" She asked as she took a glance at Sam. "Black, beige, gray, blue, and brown are all available." She grabbed the bag and looked in it to check how much stuff it could hold. It had plenty of space for everything she would need, as well as Aria's stuff from her fanny pack. Afterwards, they discovered a couple of bins of baby clothes that were being sold for a dollar each.

" I think this is adorable." Sam said with a smile as she held a romper with trains on it.

"That's really cute, I love it. Oh, here's a sleeper, I think it's called, with fire trucks all over it." After contemplating for a moment, she looked at Sam and sighed. "Though it's technically not for girls, it would make Maya's day and we aren't really sticking with a gender theme."

"Then you should get it." Sam agreed. "I'm getting this Winnie the Pooh onesie and it looks like it comes with matching pants." While rummaging through the clothing, they probably went overboard, but with babies, it's impossible to have too much clothing. In the meantime, they picked up some swaddles and bath towels before they visited the infant carrier section.