Uneasy

A week had passed since the interns started. It had also been a week since Carina had started experiencing strange things. Ray had been paying special attention to her recently and she was starting to feel uneasy about it.

"Another note." Carina grumbled as she pulled the piece of paper from her locker and crumbled it up in her hand. This had been happening every day for the past week. Notes, cups of coffee that seemed innocent at first glance. He seemed to be just trying to get on good terms with her. He was quickly becoming a headache. Pulling her cell phone from her pocket, she rolled her eyes.

Another note in my locker. xoxo. She added an emoticon of rolling eyes before hitting send. She made a habit of telling Maya whenever something like this happened. It was important to her that Maya understood that she was not keeping secrets from her. The last thing she needed was for her relationship to be put at risk by some intern she didn't even know. After shoving her phone back into her pocket, she tossed the note into the trash can before leaving. The day started with a page to the emergency room; a multiple accident crash had overwhelmed everyone. Carina had been paged when it was revealed that one of the drivers was pregnant. These kinds of cases were the most difficult because minutes could mean the difference between life and death for both mother and child. There was usually chaos as everyone hustled around and that sometimes left O.B. behind.

"We need to get her to the O.R.!" Carina all but shouted. "The baby's oxygen is decreasing." She said as her eyes scanned the screen next to the bed.

"We need to wait for neuro to evaluate and perform a CT scan." Miranda said. As her eyes scanned the room, Carina shook her head violently.

"I am not putting their lives at risk by waiting for neuro. I will not be the one to tell this mother that her baby died because we waited too long to act." Carina snapped. Some time later, after walking out of the O.R., she let out a sigh. Thankfully, everything went well. Both mom and baby were stable, allowing her to breathe a little easier. Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed him watching her. Like he always did. He seemed to be everywhere she went. Maybe it was merely a coincidence. Or maybe she was going crazy. All she knew was that he made her uncomfortable. His presence made her nervous. Looking down at her watch, she realized it was getting to be lunch time. Having checked on the rest of her patients, she proceeded to head to the crowded cafeteria where she found a long line of people waiting to eat.

"Dr. DeLuca, there's room at our table if you're looking for a place to eat." Ray smiled as he walked up behind her. Carina shook her head before scooping some food onto her tray.

"I'm eating in the lounge, but thank you." Carina smiled, hoping that he would leave. With no such luck. Having been tucked safely inside the attendings lounge, she began eating her meal, unaware that there was anyone else in the room.

"Well, you entered the room like a bat out of hell." Someone laughed. "Who's chasing you?" The woman looked up to see Meredith raising her eyebrows.

"Only the new intern who seems to believe that flirting with the boss is totally normal and not at all inappropriate." Carina muttered as she took another bite of her meal.

"Take it from me. I was an intern banging an attending once. It's a messy and chaotic situation." Meridith chuckled. "By the way, are you married? I thought you were with what's her name over at Station Nineteen."

Carina rolled her eyes. "Yeah, I'm married to Maya, which is why I don't want to get involved in any of Ray's games." She paused for a moment. "So how did you handle it? Being an intern sleeping with her boss."

"Uh, well..." Meredith laughed a little nervously. "I married him. When he met me, he was already married and the whole situation was a mess for a while after that. It ended up working out for me in the end, though. It's almost the same thing as you and I. You're married and he's the intern trying to get into your pants or whatever he's doing."