Twas The Night Before Christmas

Looking out the window at the white blanket of snow covering the ground, Carina sighed softly. At last, it was Christmas Eve, that magical time of the year. It wasn't that long ago that the holidays had been the most lonely for the both of them before they met. They didn't talk much about how the holidays had been for them when they were kids. Whenever they discussed it, Carina usually talked about the holidays before her family broke up. Maya, on the other hand, avoided talking about it altogether.

"So, are you ready to go soon?" Maya asked as she walked towards Carina, wrapping her arms around her wife. Carina smiled softly at Maya as she turned to face her. The plan had slightly changed. To make the most of the trip, instead of staying overnight, they decided to stay through Christmas and drive back early in the morning before work. Even though it wasn't ideal, they knew once they got there, they wouldn't be in a hurry to leave.

"Yeah, my bag is in the bathroom." Carina smiled. "It's unbelievable that it's Christmas Eve already. Then, we'll be celebrating the new year, which means that we'll get to start another year together. To think about it is almost unimaginable." Her laughter was soft.

"Why do you say that, babe?" Maya asked, curious.

"In your honest opinion, Maya, could you honestly say you could've imagined us in this position just a few years ago? Could you honestly believe that we would be standing here now, with each other, on Christmas Eve, completely happy?" Carina bit her lip. It was clear to Maya that Carina had a point. She felt the same way as well. Over the years, they had made holidays their own during the time they had spent together. It wasn't really a tradition by any means.

"That's true, babe, you're right." Maya whispered softly. "It seems that each year is a little bit better than the last one." She smiled. Both of them stood there for a moment before Maya began speaking once more. "I'll get your bag and then we can get going."

As soon as the luggage was loaded, they began driving towards the cabin while taking in the scenic views of the wildlife that roamed the area and the snow-capped road. They remained silent as they took in the beauty of the area. The fact that they were able to take time off for themselves was a nice touch. They didn't get to do it often and the fact that it was over Christmas just made the experience even more special. While they were on their way, they decided to stop for breakfast and grab something to eat. Once they got to town, they had to pick up groceries for the cabin even though they weren't sure how much they would eat during their stay.

"What are you planning to do after we unpack?" Carina asked, biting into her salad. Maya didn't say anything for a moment while she thought about it.

"I don't know, I didn't really have a plan." Maya admitted. "Maybe we should get to know where everything is first." She pointed out. Carina agreed. When they arrived at the cabin, they both pulled their coats tighter around them as they stepped out of the car.

"I'll grab the bags for you, babe." Maya said to Carina as she moved forward to grab them before her wife could protest. When they walked through the door, they were both shocked. The reality was even more amazing than Maya could have ever imagined even though she had seen pictures of the house. An open floor plan that let in plenty of natural light. The kitchen was a dream come true for Carina. It was large and spacious beyond what she had ever imagined. She noted in her mind that she wanted to take advantage of the area while they were there. "I think we should unpack before we take a look around." Maya smiled as she searched for their bedroom. Carina followed her up a series of ladders against a wall, up to the loft area that contained a large bed.

"This place is beautiful." Carina smiled as she sat her suitcase on the bed. "I can't wait to see the rest of it." She continued as she searched through her luggage, finding her swimsuit. "It might be a good idea to leave our suits out." She suggested as Maya nodded in agreement. After they were done, they climbed back down the ladder so they could take a closer look at the rest of the place. The scent of the fireplace filled the space with warmth and comfort. At every turn, there seemed to be something new to discover.