We All Need Breaks Sometimes

A week later...

Everyone was going to the bar after work. It would be a welcoming distraction that Maya could've desperately used. Even though she loved her wife, she needed this. To be carefree around the people she worked with and to forget everything going on around her.

She paced the hallway for a moment, watching Andrew wash dishes. She didn't usually ask him anything, so why did she feel so nervous? She took a breath and bit the bullet.

"Andrew," After calling his name, Maya saw him turn, grab a towel to dry his hands, then turn back to face her. "What're your plans for tonight?"

"It's not really important, but I was gonna go to Sam's, otherwise, nothing really. Why?" Andrew asked.

Maya sighed. "Before I ask, please remember I don't normally ask you for anything." She started. Andrew raised his eyebrows. "Everyone's going to the bar tonight and I'd like to go. Do you mind staying and keeping an eye on your sister while I'm gone?" She paused for a moment. "I really need this, Andrew."

Andrew smiled softly. Why was she so nervous to ask? In his opinion, she deserved a night out. She was always by Carina's side whenever she wasn't at work. "Of course. Take a break, you deserve it. I have her."

Maya sighed heavily. "Thank you." She paused briefly. "All I want is a night to let loose and have a good time. It's been a while since I've done that."

"You can ask me at any time, Maya. You do a lot for her, so you deserve some time for yourself." Andrew smiled. He knew how hard all of this was on her. Deep down, he had to give Maya credit. Even after everything she and Carina had been through and news of his sister's pregnancy, she hadn't run for the hills. Quite honestly, he wouldn't have blamed her for doing so, but he was glad she hadn't.

Maya returned to their room to find Carina sitting in bed, reading a book. Her wife closed the book, setting it next to her as she sat down on the bed. "I'm going out with everyone to Joe's tonight. Andrew's gonna stay here if you need anything." She smiled softly. Carina sighed and rolled her eyes.

"I'm assuming you asked him to stay?" Carina asked. Maya bit her lip and gave a look that told her everything she needed to know. "You know I love you, even though you can be a pain in the ass sometimes." A soft smile spread across her face.

Maya laughed and kissed her wife gently. "Oh, I'm well aware." As she pulled away from the kiss, she reached up and pushed some of her wife's hair behind her ear. "Have a good night and don't wait up." When Maya left, Carina hopped out of bed and went to the kitchen to prepare carrot pinwheels. She was obsessed with them lately and at least they were healthy. When she sat down on the couch with Aria beside her, she looked up to see Andrew walking into the room.

"I'm sorry you got stuck with me." Carina muttered as she took a bite. Andrew rolled his eyes. His sister's statement wasn't surprising to him.

"You make it sound so awful." Andrew laughed softly. "Seriously, Carina, I don't mind. I didn't really have any plans. I can see Sam anytime."

"It's great that Maya's finally doing something for herself, but did she really think I needed a babysitter?" Carina deadpanned. As much as she loved her wife, sometimes she tended to go overboard in her opinion. Carina paused for a moment. "Why don't you invite Sam over? The fact that Maya assigned you to babysit doesn't mean that you can't still hang out with her. Besides, I don't really know her. It would be nice to get to know my future sister-in-law." She smirked, which caused Andrew to roll his eyes.

"You're already assuming I'm marrying this girl? Glad I was notified about this. When's the wedding date?" Andrew rolled his eyes as he spoke. "I'll invite her over, but don't do anything to scare her off; I actually like her."