Chapter 23

Shawn walked back into his apartment after his morning smoke to find Camila and Scarlett awake and sat at his kitchen island with bowls of cereal in front of them. He looked around his apartment as he made his way over to them and it was a mess. Scarlett's toys were scattered everywhere, the drawers were overflowing with clothes; most of them Camila's and the pile of washing by the sink seemed to increase every time he looked at it. But he didn't care. He had the two people he cared most about with him and that's all that mattered. "Morning," He smiled, grabbing some bread and putting it in the toaster to make himself some breakfast.

"Morning," Camila replied, not looking up from her phone that hadn't stopped vibrating since he walked in.

"Someone's popular." He remarked when her phone finally stopped.

"Someone's been trying to get ahold of me all morning." She rolled her eyes and leant her head on her hand. "It's really annoying."

"Who is it?" Shawn asked, taking his toast out when it popped up.

"I don't know, the number is blocked."

"Is it Joshua?" Shawn asked and she shrugged. "There's only one way to find out then." He said, leaning forward as the phone started ringing again and answered it.

"What are you doing?" She asked him as he brought the phone to his ear.

"Hello, Camila's phone?" He shot her a smirk, ready to deal with whoever was harassing her this early in the morning. He had a hunch it could be Joshua. But he was wrong, very wrong.

"Camila!" A sharp voice bellowed down the phone. "Where the hell are you? You need to get here now!"

Shawn just pulled the phone from his ear and handed it to Camila. "Hello?" She answered but instantly straightened up when she heard who it was. "Hi Meredith..." All of the tiredness from her voice disappeared in a second and she shot off the stool. "I'm coming now... I'm so sorry... I completely forgot." She ended the call and threw her phone into the counter. "Shit," she mumbled, racing over to the bedroom to find something to wear. "Shit, shit, shit."

"Mommy said a bad word." Scarlett pointed out, looking up from the bowl of coco-puffs she had been quietly eating.

"Mommy said a few bad words." Shawn remarked, watching in amusement as she raced to his bathroom to start getting changed.

He turned his attention back to his toast and started buttering it, before he took a bite and cleared away the bowl of cereal Scarlett had finished with.

It wasn't long until Camila came back out, dressed and with her make up half done. "Can you call me a cab for downtown?" She took a moment to catch her breath as Shawn pulled his phone out. He nodded and watched as she filled her bag with everything she would need and slipped her heals on. "All done." He said, placing his phone back in his pocket.

"Thanks," She breathed. "Can you look after Scar again today?" She asked, reaching forward to his plate of toast and taking a huge bite out of it.

"Actually, I have wor-" He began but was cut off by a car beeping outside.

"That's the taxi," She stuffed the last of his toast into her mouth and ran to the door. "Love you Scar." She called before she closed it behind her.

•••••

"Come on Scar," Shawn called, holding his hand out for her as she wondered over to the house.

"Who lives there?" She asked.

"Brian and Meg."

"Oh." She furrowed her little eyebrows and skipped over to him, taking his hand.

It took a while but eventually a sleepy Brian answered the door. "Hey man,"