Chapter 22

Shawn's eyes slowly opened as he heard his name being whispered. He opened them fully and saw Camila standing in front of him, dressed with her coat and shoes on. "Are you okay?" He asked, his voice still rough from sleep.

"I'm going back to New York to get some clothes and Scarlett's toys and stuff." She replied, standing up next to him.

"Do you want me to come with you?" He asked, sitting up in the sofa and pushing the blanket off himself. He checked the time. 4:15 AM.

"No, It's fine. I've already bought my ticket."

"Are you sure? I don't mind."

She shook her head again and looked over to the bedroom where Scarlett was sleeping. "Can you look after Scar while I go?"

Shawn looked over at Scarlett and slowly nodded. Last time he had looked after her she had broken her wrist and that had only been for thirty minutes. He didn't know what would happen if he looked after her for the whole day.

"You'll be fine, don't worry." Camila gave him a reassuring smile, having seen straight through his expression. "Call me if you need anything."

"Okay," He nodded as she made her way to the door. "Be careful."

She flashed him a smile before opening the door. "I will."

He went back to sleep for three hours before he woke up again. He sat up on the sofa and looked over to his bedroom where Scarlett was sleeping. The duvet moved slightly and she out a sigh which he figured was her waking up. He slowly stood up and walked over to the room so she would have a familiar face when she woke up, remembering how upset she had been yesterday morning.

Her eyes were open and she blinked before letting out a yawn. "Morning." Shawn smiled, sitting himself in the edge of the bed.

She gave him a lazy smile and sat up. "Where's mommy?"

"She's gone back to New York to get some of your things." He explained. "So I'm looking after you today, is that okay?"

She grinned at him and nodded. "We can have fun without mommy being all bossy."

"We can." He chuckled, watching as she started looking around the bed with her eyebrows furrowed. "What's up?"

"I can't find Sam." She huffed.

Shawn looked around for her teddy bear as well before he lifted up the duvet and smiled. "You're sitting on him."

"Oh, yeah." She giggled, pulling it out from underneath her. The teddy immediately caught Shawn's eye as she cuddled into it.

Wrapped around it looking worn and scruffy was his shirt. He didn't know how he hadn't seen it when Scarlett and Camila arrived at his doorstep but guessed he was a little distracted.

"I like your teddy bear." He muttered, reaching forward to touch his shirt. "Where did you get this?"

"It was my daddy's. My mommy kept it when they broke up." She replied. Shawn was curious and wanted to know what else Camila had told Scarlett about him.

"Does your mommy ever talk about your daddy?" He asked.

"Not a lot because it makes her cry, but she said that if he knew me he would love me lots and lots." She smiled. Camila couldn't be more right about that.

"Does it make you sad that you don't know him?" He asked, bracing himself for the answer.

"Yes." She nodded. That broke Shawn's heart. He had hurt his daughter without even knowing it.

His thoughts were interrupted by Scarlett pushing the covers back and slipping out of the bed. "I'm getting dressed." She told him.

"Do you need any help?" He asked as she collected her clothes from the top of the drawer.