Blessed Assurance

They all were sitting in the waiting room at the hospital. Everyone was quiet and in disbelief. Everything happened so fast. The person that did the shooting received medical attention on-site and was taken straight to jail.

"I can't believe this. It's just not making sense at all." Bless said calling a loyal customer in Chicago that knew all the gossip around the city.

Bless was the only one who saw the driver that did the shooting.

"Family for Miss Barnes." The doctor called out in the waiting room. Buttah and Chase walked up to the doctor.

"The bullet went straight through the right shoulder. She will be okay; I will let you know when you can see her." The doctor said walking away.

"Wait, what about Miss Jones, Kandie Jones? Buttah asked anxiously waiting for the doctor to respond.

"She was shot in the thigh; her injury is more severe but she will survive." The doctor said and walked away.

"Thank you doctor." Buttah said and sat down.

She was so overwhelmed.

"Are you okay?" Chase asked with concern.

"Yes, I just can't believe what just happened. It's crazy how fast your life can change." Buttah said looking off into space in a trance.

She was silently thanking God that her children were in the house when the shooting occurred.

"What is it? I know that look." Chase asked looking at Bless.

Bless was fuming, eyes red.

"Joe and Victoria are a couple. My ex-fiancé was with my brother the whole time. He talked Victoria into all this shit, man. Played on her mental illness; told her she didn't need her meds. Victoria is the one that did the shooting. Joe told her about the Texas barbershop; she's been following me, taking orders from Joe. He wants the barbershop. He did all this; could have killed all of us over $200,000! That's some fucking bullshit man! Bless stood up and threw a vase at the window.

"Bless, let's go outside; you don't want Buttah to see you like this. Come on." Chase said calmly guiding Bless outside.

"Chase, I'm telling you right now, when I see Joe." Bless was enraged.

"I know man, damn. You have to calm down, give yourself a couple days." Chase said knowing what Bless is capable of.

"What? I'm not killing him; I'm going to kick his ass!" Bless said pacing.

"They could have shot my woman and she's pregnant with my seed." Bless said looking up at Buttah walking outside.

Buttah walked up to Bless and gave him a hug. Bless instantly calmed down. Buttah started crying, uncontrollably. Bless held her tight and kissed her forehead until she stopped crying.

"Come on Bless! I need to take you home! They just called the police! Chase said running to his car.

"Babe, everything will be okay. I'll call you." Bless said kissing her lips and following Chase.

Sasha was sedated but Buttah was allowed to see her. Buttah put a chair by Sasha's bed; grabbed her hand and start praying for her. She started singing Sasha's favorite song "Blessed Assurance." Sasha was the only person that knew Buttah could sing. Buttah saw tears rolling down Sasha's face; Sasha squeezed her hand.

Buttah fell asleep with her head on Sasha's hand.

"Come on Babe, let me take you home. Chase will stay here with Sasha." Bless said grabbing Buttah's hand and guiding her out of the hospital.

"Are they in jail? I don't want to know who did it; just tell me that they are in jail." Buttah said with a flat tone looking straight ahead.

"They are in jail." Bless said kissing Buttah's hand.

"Kandie is okay but she's heavily sedated. She's going to be in the hospital for awhile. The doctor said she has to do physical therapy for her leg. Her mother is in the room with her." Buttah told Bless.

"Thanks for calling her mom." Bless said helping Buttah into the car.

When Bless and Buttah got into the house. They both went straight to the shower; they always take showers together. After cleaning each other they put on their robes and brushed their teeth.

"If we get married, where will we live?" Buttah asked looking at Bless.

"We can buy a house in Chicago after you retire. You said you plan to retire in Spring next year right?" Bless asked looking at Buttah.

"Yes, I'm so tired of working. After Sasha starts feeling better; I want to go on vacation." Buttah said laying her head on Bless's shoulder.

"Okay, we can go wherever you want." Bless said kissing her forehead.

"Tomorrow morning I'm going to Chicago. I can't take you with me this time. I have to handle something." Bless said resting his head on Buttah's head as she fell asleep on his shoulder.

Bless put his hand on Buttah's belly and fell asleep.