Buttah

She woke up to the rain pouring, and the wind blowing. Another rainy day in the summer; that's normal for Texas weather. You really never know what season it is in Texas. Buttah has been in Texas all her life; born and raised in Dallas, Texas. Her real name is Butterfly. Her mother (Sandy) named her Butterfly, because she was going through a transformational period in her life at the time. Sandy had a one night stand with a good friend that she worked with, and didn't realize she was pregnant with Buttah, until she was 6 months. Having a baby was not something that she thought she could do at 43 years old.

When Buttah was born, it seemed that all the nurses in the hospital were at Sandy's bedside, because of how beautiful Buttah was. Buttah was born with her eyes open, smiling with deep dimples in her puffy red cheeks. Her hair was straight and thick, you couldn't even see her scalp. She had the most perfect round face and big pretty brown eyes. The nurses wanted to hold her and pass her around, but Sandy wanted her privacy and asked for everyone to leave.

Buttah is now 42 years old; looking just as beautiful as the day she was born. She has long thick waist length curly ginger hair. There is a natural glow to her caramel complexion, and dimples on each cheek. She has pronounced cheekbones with a heart shaped face. Buttah worked out every other day, so she has an athletic build. She ran track in college, and still has that track body.

"I can't believe it's still raining. How can it rain like this in the summer? It's going on day 10 of none stop raining". Buttah muttered to herself as she got up to brush her teeth.

"Momma, can I go to the movies with Alexis?" Taliah yelled on the other side of the door.

"Yeah, if you're driving." Buttah is an overprotective parent that did not play about her children.

Taliah is 18 years old; the youngest of three. She favored her mom a lot but she was tall, 5'8, and slim with a smooth dark chocolate complexion. Her hair was also curly and mid back length. She didn't like wearing her hair down, so it was mostly in a ponytail. Taliah runs track for Texas A&M University; she was home for the summer.

Buttah changed into lounging clothes to go to the store when her phone rang.

"Hello." Buttah answered her phone.

"Hey girl, what are you doing?" Her best friend Sasha called every morning to check on her.

"I'm going to the store. I'll talk to you later." Buttah said.

Buttah divorced her ex-husband 1 year ago, after being together for 27 years. Sasha felt that Buttah wasn't doing well, because she was quiet. Buttah just didn't like talking about her business. Her ex-husband remarried 6 months after their divorce, and now lives in New York. It really didn't surprise Buttah when her ex-husband remarried, because they were living like roommates for years. They both knew that it was over, and it just took Buttah to make it official. Buttah has always been very genuine, honest and kind. If something needed to be said or done, best believe Buttah will say it and do it. She didn't like to be the outspoken, assertive person all the time, but unfortunately she was usually put in situations that provoked her to speak up or do something.

Buttah hopped in her red Mercedes and realized her gas hand was on "E" for empty. "Really?!" She hated going to the gas station, but she didn't have a choice.

"Hey Miss Lady!" A scruffy older man approached her as she was pumping gas.

She turned her head and rolled her eyes. "This is why I hate the gas station". Buttah whispered, annoyed that the man was now standing maybe 5 feet in front of her.

"Can I pump your gas pretty lady?" The scruffy man asked.

"No, thank you." Buttah looked at the man with a forced smile.

The man seemed to not take "No" for an answer, and walked closer to Buttah. She stood up straight, and put one foot in front of the other in a fighters stance.

"Back up man! I said I got it!" Buttah said ready to defend herself.

There was another gentleman at the pump next to Buttah who saw everything play out, and stepped towards her.

"Is everything okay?" The gentleman asked with a baritone deep voice.

"I'm leaving, I'm leaving." The scruffy man said hands up in surrender mode and walked away.

"Are you okay?" The mystery man asked.

"Yes, I'm fine." Buttah said with a shaky voice and sweaty hands.

Unfortunately, that's not the first time Buttah had to stand up for herself when it came to men.

"My name is Bless." The gentleman reached his hand out.

"Hi, my name is Buttah." Buttah hesitantly shook his hand with her fingertips and pulled back quickly.

She looked into his eyes and realized Bless was a very nice looking man. Tall, 6'0, brown skin, athletic build with a broad chest and shoulders. He looks like he could be a model. He had a low cut fade, clean shaven with a chiseled jawline. His hair was dark black with deep waves. Buttah got lost in his eyes before she bashfully turned away.

"Do you need some help with that?" Bless asked.

"What?" Buttah asked confused.

He pointed at the gas that was leaking out of the tank, as Buttah was still pumping the gas.

"Ahh..shit!" Buttah yelled, annoyed.

"No, I got it. Thanks for your help." Buttah said embarrassed.

"No problem. Be safe." Bless said and walked back to his car.

"Dang, he fine." Buttah said to herself as she shook her head and got back in her car.