SEEING DOUBLE

TRICK OR TREAT, FREAK

__________c h a p t e r  t w e n t y - t w o

__________
c h a p t e r  t w e n t y - t w o

October 31. The day of ghouls, goblins, and ever since 1967, Samantha Luz Flores.

She wakes up to Bianca blasting her favorite song, wearing a party hat, while her parents toss confetti around her room.

"¡Feliz cumpleaños!" they all chime in unison, ending with Bianca blowing a noisemaker.

"Good morning," Sam smiles, bringing them in for a hug.

"Hope you're hungry. Mom made a feast," Bianca grins, before inching towards the door. "I'm gonna go get ready, see you in 10."

Sam chuckles as her parents leave as well, and quickly changes into her outfit, sliding her headband onto her freshly curled hair, placing the rollers in their designated spot.

She then walks downstairs, expecting to see her sister in the dining room, but instead met with her parents' patient smiles. Running right back up, she approaches the bathroom door.

"¡Ándale, Bianca, we wanna see!" Sam groans, banging on the door as her mom holds up the camera.

"I'm coming, relax!" she rolls her eyes, stepping out, and Leo immediately breaks into a round of applause.

"You can't even see me yet," she reminds him.

"And I already know you look adorable. Now come on, you'll be late to school if you stall any longer."

Finally, she walks into the living room, met with three approving faces, Sam's being especially proud.

"A work of art!" Sam grins, eyeing her masterpiece.

It took days to finish customizing the utility dress to look more like something Bianca would wear, hemming it for her short stature, decking it out in patches, and sewing "MELNITZ" into the label with bright red thread.

"See? Adorable," Leo stands up, handing his daughter the fake proton blaster and glasses.

She then reluctantly holds it up in a pose, allowing her mom to snap a few pictures, the biggest grin on her face.

"Okay, now put the glasses on your head, yes! Now big smile!" she snaps a myriad of pictures, turning to Sam with a mischievous smile. "Your turn."

"Ugh, do we have to do this every year?" she groans, standing in front of the balloons.

"Yes, now say whiskey," Leo nods, stern voice contrasting his words.

"Can we eat now?" Bianca dramatically sighs after Gianna places the camera down.

"Enjoy," she rolls her eyes, lightly pushing them both towards the table covered in waffles, fruit, and bacon.

"Any plans for tonight? After your celebration, of course," she asks Samantha, who nods while chewing.