COMPLETELY THEORETICAL

c h a p t e r  e l e v e n

c h a p t e r e l e v e n

The kids walk into the home, spotting their science teacher while at the snack table.

"Hi Mr Clarke," they put on their best sad faces.

"Hey, how are you kids holding up?"

"We're... in... mourning," Lucas attempts to lie, while Bianca and Mike dramatically look at the floor.

"Man, these aren't real Nilla Wafers," Dustin comments, and they all look at him in disbelief.

"He gets critical while grieving," Bianca turns to the teacher.

"We were wondering if you had time to talk?"

"We have some questions."

"A lot of questions," Mike nods, and he leads them to a table.

"Sure, what's going on?"

"So you know how in Cosmos, Carl Sagan talks about other dimensions? Like, beyond our world?"

"Yeah sure. Theoretically."

"Right... Theoretically," Bianca nods aggressively.

"So, theoretically, how do we travel there?"

"You guys have been thinking about Hugh Everett's Many-Worlds Interpretation, haven't you?"

They glance at each other in confusion, Mike shrugging at Dustin's expectant look.

"Well, basically there are other parallel universes. Just like our world, but just infinite variations of it. Which means there's a world out there where none of this tragic stuff ever happened."

"Yeah, that's not what we're talking about."

"Oh."

"We were thinking of more of an evil dimension, like the Vale of Shadows. You know the Vale of Shadows?"

"An echo of the Material Plane, where necrotic and shadow magic--"

"Yeah, exactly. So say it existed. How would we get there?" Bianca asks.

"Theoretically."

"Well..." he seems to think it over, pulling out a pen and his paper plate. "Picture an acrobat standing on a tightrope. Now the tightrope is our dimension. And our dimension has rules. You can move forwards or backwards. But what if.. right next to our acrobat, there is a flea."

The kids all listen intently, watching his drawing demonstration as well. Bianca could tell he wasn't an art student.

"Now the flea can also travel back and forth, just like the acrobat, right?"

"Right."

"Here's where things get really interesting. The flea can also travel this way, along the side of the rope. He can even go underneath the rope."