THE ANSWER IS IN THE VINES

DIG DUG

____________c h a p t e r  t w e n t y - n i n e

____________
c h a p t e r t w e n t y - n i n e

"Hey Mom," Bianca dials her house at the realization it was way too late to ride her bike home.

"Do you plan on coming home today or are you too busy?" she jokes.

"Sorry. Will wasn't feeling well, so Mike and I came to check on him and we didn't realize how late it got."

"I know, I was just messing with you. I called Joyce three hours ago."

"Oh. Well, is it okay if I stay over? His... His nightmares are back and he really could use a friend."

She knew her mom was always pretty lenient when it came to things like that, her pride regarding her daughters being there for their friends taking over.

"I don't know..."

"Steve used to stay over all the time."

"Steve has a tough time at home, honey, it's different."

"Please? He says sometimes he has nightmares about being... lost. He only feels better when he's with his friends."

"Alright. Be safe and if you want to come home at any time, call. Te quiero, mija."

"Te quiero," she hangs up, walking back to Will's room to see Mike setting up a makeshift bed on the floor for her.

"Don't worry Will," she sits down. "We won't let anything happen."

_____

The next morning, Will wakes up with a gasp, startling Bianca and Mike out of their slumber as well.

"Will, what's wrong?"

"It's Hopper," he turns to them with wide eyes, leading them out of the room.

"Mom?" he taps Joyce, forcing her to stop trying to analyze the drawings covering the walls.

Couldn't exactly blame her, since Bianca had been trying to do the same since she got there. It didn't even seem possible for him to draw that much in a day.

"Yeah?"

"I saw him."

"You saw who, baby?"

"Hopper. I think he's in trouble. I think he's going to die."

_____

In the Henderson home, the air was similarly chaotic as Mrs. Henderson searches for the missing cat.

Dawn finishes getting ready as her mom prepares to leave, searching for her Walkman.

"Hey Dustin!" she calls out.