A MASTERPIECE

THE BODY

______c h a p t e r  e i g h t

______
c h a p t e r e i g h t

Once Sam arrives to see Bianca crying into her parents' arms, she quickly closes the door and walks in the living room.

"What happened?" she questions.

"Will. He-He's dead," the younger girl cries, and Samantha's eyes widen in shock.

"No... No way," she shakes her head, slowly sitting down to see the news.

"I can't watch this. I'm going to bed," Bianca gets up, running up the stairs.

"I'll check on her," Samantha follows, while Gianna and Leo solemnly watch the news station.

"Hey Bumblebee," Samantha knocks on her door after changing into her pajamas.

"I don't want to talk about it, Sam," she responds, not opening the door.

"You don't have to. But you can sleep in my room tonight," she offers, expecting her to finally come out.

Instead, she doesn't move. "I'm alright. Night."

"Goodnight," she sighs, going back to her own bedroom, where she spends the rest of the night feeling both guilty for terrorizing Jonathan on the day his brother turns up dead and jealous of what Nancy had with Steve.

____

The next morning, after getting dressed for school, Bianca looks at one of the photos on her mirror. It was her and Will holding up their D&D pieces, because Mike "needed" documentation of everyone's role.

Static interrupts her reminiscing, followed by Mike's voice. "Bianca. Lucas. I know one of you has to be there. I'm not leaving until you answer. Bianca, Lucas, Bianca, Lucas, Bianca, Lucas, Bianca-"

"Go away Mike," Lucas responds.

"Yeah, now's not the time," she finally grabs the comm. "Over."

"I'm not in the mood, alright? Over and out."

"No, not out. I'm not messing around, okay? This is about Will. Over."

"What about Will?" both kids respond.

"You mean about his funeral?"

"No, not his funeral. Screw his funeral!"

"Dude that is so messed up. Over," Bianca widens her eyes.

"No, no, no. It's not like that. Just get over here stat. And bring Dustin. And Bianca, bring some of your clothes. Over and out."

"Hey B, I'm heading out for school. You coming?" Samantha knocks on the door.

"No, I'm riding with Mike."

"Alright, later," she walks away, getting in Steve's car reluctantly.

Despite his profuse apologies over the phone the night before, Sam still felt much less enthusiastic for the ride.