UTTER INSANITY

THE UPSIDE DOWN

__________c h a p t e r  s e v e n t e e n

__________
c h a p t e r  s e v e n t e e n

Almost an hour passes, and the kids sit on the bleachers in various shades of boredom and anxiety.

Bianca and El were both leaning their heads on Mike's shoulder when he checks his watch, standing up to check on his sister.

He comes back, stressed out. "They're gone."

"What?"

"Nancy and Jonathan. His car's gone."

"They're probably just sucking face somewhere," Dustin remarks, not seeing any real danger.

"Gross."

"She's dating Steve," Bianca reminds him, not taking Nancy to be a cheater.

"Yeah, and where is he right now?" he retorts.

"Probably with your sister."

"Sucking face," Dustin adds.

"What is your obsession with making out?" she gives a disgusted glare.

"Okay, can we discuss our sisters' love lives later? They're not just making out. No way!" Mike interrupts.

"Did they go with the chief?"

"I don't know!"

"No," El catches everyone's attention.

"What? Did you see them? Do you know where they went?"

"Yes."

"Where? Where did they go?"

"Demogorgon."

"Of course they did," Bianca groans, and they all get up to discuss, besides El, who still needed rest.

"We have to go after them."

"How? We have no transportation, no weapons, and no plan. It's a suicide mission," Bianca argues.

"She's right," Dustin points to her, and Lucas nods in agreement.

"Guys, this is crazy. We can't just wait around."

"Mike, in case you forgot, we're still fugitives. The bad men are still looking for us."

"Yeah, and we don't even know where your sister is."

"El can find them."

Bianca then tilts her head at the resting girl, clearly too worn out to even stand.

"Mike, look at her," Dustin points. "I still think we should stick to the chief's plan."

"Exactly. We stay here, keep El out of sight and keep her safe. That's the most important thing, remember? Besides, she's okay. She's with Jonathan."