THE REPLACEMENT

HOLLY, JOLLY

______c h a p t e r  s i x

______
c h a p t e r  s i x

The next morning comes, and while Sam sleeps in a little longer, Bianca gets dressed early and walks to Mike's house.

"So what's the plan?" she sits down on the couch, watching El fidget with the comm. "We should really get you one of those."

"We'll tell our parents we have AV club after school. That'll give us at least a few hours for Operation Mirkwood."

"You seriously think that weirdo knows where Will is?"

"I see you've moved on from the word freak," Bianca rolls her eyes. "She knows more than we do. It's worth a try."

"Did you get the supplies?"

"Yeah," he goes to his bookbag, pulling out a few items. "Binoculars... from 'Nam. Army knife, also from 'Nam, Hammer, camouflage bandana, and the wrist rocket!"

"You're gonna take out the demogorgon with a slingshot?"

"First of all, it's a wrist rocket, and second of all, the Demogorgon's not real. It's made up. But if there's something out there, I'm gonna shoot it in the eye..." he snaps the slingshot. "And blind it."

"You trust your aim that much? Cause I don't, just saying," Bianca jokes.

"Yes I trust my aim that much," he glares, pointing his slingshot at her, mock-shooting it.

"Bianca?" Mike interrupts their bickering.

"I brought a map and a few water bottles."

"Good. Dustin, what'd you get?" Mike sighs.

He empties his bookbag to reveal a plethora of snacks. Not exactly what Bianca was expecting, but she wasn't surprised either.

"Well alrighty. So we've got Nutty Bars, Bazooka, Pez, Smarties, Pringles, Nilla Wafers, apple, banana, and trail mix."

"Seriously?"

"We need energy for our travels. For stamina."

"Dustin we're going four blocks away not all the way to Seattle," she raises an eyebrow.

"Whatever. Besides, what do we need weapons for anyway? We have her," he points to El.

"She shut one door!"

"With her mind! Are you kidding me? That's insane. Imagine all the other cool stuff she could do," he walks over to the corner, picking up a toy. "I bet... that she could make this fly!"

He holds it up in front of her, getting her attention. "Okay, concentrate. Okay?"

He lets go and it drops to the ground, producing several unamused looks.