SENSORY DEPRIVATION

__________c h a p t e r  s i x t e e n

__________
c h a p t e r s i x t e e n

Samantha and Steve walk back to his BMW just as Tommy and Carol walk out with a cold Coke.

"You owe me $1.20," he hands it to him, while the boy takes the aspirin Sam purchased. "Don't worry, he'll need more than aspirin when I'm done with him."

"Yeah, if the creep ever gets out," Carol shakes her head. "The cops should just lock him up forever. Did you see that look on his face?"

She then reenacts how he was punching their friend, while both Samantha and Steve get fed up, sharing a look of annoyance.

"He probably had that same look whenever he killed his brother, right?"

"You're fucking disgusting, Tommy," Samantha remarks, minus the usual hints of amusement in her tone.

"Oh God, I just had an image of him making that face while he and Nancy are screwing."

Just as Samantha begins to respond in his defense, Steve blurts, "Carol, for once in your life, shut your damn mouth."

"What?"

"Hey, what's your problem, man?"

"You're both assholes, that's my problem."

"Fucking finally," Samantha mutters. Truthfully, she'd been waiting for Steve to drop them the minute they met.

Tommy glares, turning his gaze to Samantha. "You share that opinion, Sammy?"

"Of course she does. Losers have to stick together, right Luz?" Carol menacingly taunts.

"Don't make me put my hands on you," she threatens.

"Leave her out of this, man," Steve pushes Tommy back.

"Are you serious right now? Where's this shit even coming from?" Tommy sneers, as Steve moves away from the car.

"You shouldn't have done that back there."

"Done what?"

"You know what."

"You mean call her out for what she really is? Oh that's funny, because I don't remember you asking me to stop. And if anything you should be thanking me, Sam. We did what you're too much of a scared little bitch to do."

"Fuck you, Tommy."

"I should've put that spray paint right down your throat. Call her a bitch again, see what happens," he sneers.

"What the hell, Steve?"

"You know what? I'm done with this, I'm gonna wait in the car. I'll leave you to it," Sam grabs the keys from Steve's hand, getting in the passenger's side.

Shortly after, he gets in angrily, pulling off to Maple Street.

"Can I just say I have been waiting for this moment for months now?" she breaks out into a fit of giggles.