GOODBYE

__________c h a p t e r  e i g h t e e n

__________
c h a p t e r  e i g h t e e n

While Lucas and Dustin head off to find the chocolate dessert, Bianca, El, and Mike sit at one of the tables.

"Are you feeling any better?" Mike asks El, who simply shrugs in response.

"When we get back, I'll have my dad make you some tea. He makes the best whenever we're sick," Bianca suggests.

She nods, before leaning closer to the two. "What's putting?"

"Pudding. It's this chocolate goo you eat with a spoon."

"When you say it like that, it sounds gross," Bianca scrunches her eyebrows together, her point emphasized by El's disgusted face.

"Don't worry, when all this is over, you won't have to keep eating junk food and leftovers like a stray dog. My mom, she's a pretty awesome cook-"

"Except on Meatloaf Mondays," Bianca mutters, and he chuckles.

"Why do you hate meatloaf so much?" he turns to her, earning a shrug in response.

"It's weird, dude. Meat should not be in a loaf, it's unnatural," she shudders, looking back at El. "You can eat at my house those days."

"You know, El, we actually have a guest room at my house. We normally use it for my cousins and grandparents on holidays, but you could probably have it," Bianca offers.

"If not, you can take my basement," Mike adds.

"Either way, you have a family now," Bianca touches her shoulder.

"Are you like family?" she points between them.

"No! No," Mike cuts in before Bianca can answer her, causing her to whip her head at him.

"No?" she raises an eyebrow.

"Not like that."

"Why no?" El questions.

"It's just different, that's all," he brushes off, obviously nervous as he glances at Bianca periodically.

"El, we'll be right back," Bianca grabs his hand, pulling him to the side, leaning against the wall. "What's up, Mike?"

"It's really stupid."

"Try me."

"Well, you know... you know how Lucas, Will, and Dustin see you as a sister?"

"Yeah."

"Well, it's different... for me."

"What are you saying, Mike?"

"That I just... That I like you in a different way."

"Different?" she raises an eyebrow.

"Like... I don't know, a different way, you know what I mean."