SECOND CHOICES

____________c h a p t e r  t w e n t y - f o u r

____________
c h a p t e r t w e n t y - f o u r

Meanwhile, the kids continue down Maple Street, knocking on the next door.

"Trick or treat!" they yell, bags open wide, as the door opens to reveal a sweet old woman.

"Oh, cute. The little exterminators," she holds out the bowl, and they attempt not to look offended as they grab a handful of candy.

"If I get another 3 Musketeers, I'm gonna kill myself," Lucas sighs.

"Honestly," Bianca inspects her own candy bag.

"What's wrong with 3 Musketeers?"

"No one likes 3 Musketeers," Mike agrees.

"Yeah, it's just nougat."

"Woah, woah, woah. Just nougat? It is top three for me," Dustin continues to defend the candy.

"Top three?"

"Top three."

"Oh God, give me a break."

"Take that to the grave, Dustin," Bianca gives a look of disappointment.

"Seriously, I can eat a whole bowl of nougat-" he attempts to continue, only to get interrupted by someone in a Michael Myers mask jumping out in front of them.

They all scream, Bianca and Mike grabbing each other, before quickly separating at the realization that one, they were in front of all of their friends, and two, that this was only Max.

"Holy shit, you should've seen the look on your faces! And you?" she turns to Lucas, who had a particularly odd scream, "Who screams like that? You sound like a little girl."

"She's not lying," Bianca pats his shoulder with a snort.

Max then turns back towards them, a goofy smile on her face. "Hey, are you guys coming or not? I heard we should hit up Loch Nora. That's where the rich people live, right?"

Dustin and Lucas cheer, trudging forward, and Will follows. Bianca begins to as well, but notices Mike straggling behind.

"Come on, Mike. Is something up with you?"

"I'm fine, let's go," he pushes forward, completely brushing her off.

"Okay then."

Bianca didn't know what to think about his newfound attitude. Sure, Mike had a tendency to express his annoyance with zero hesitation, but it was very rarely pointed towards her. All she did was try to make a new friend.

_____

Eventually, they make it to the well-off neighborhood, and surely enough, they get plenty of full size candy bars in return.