Chapter 48

I set down the last box of my things in Chuck's garage. The lease on the apartment Mel and I were renting had ended and Mel had decided to move back home to San Diego with her parents after graduation - while Chuck asked me to move in with him. I smiled as I looked at the boxes of my things around the garage. Chuck opened the door to the garage and stepped out from the house.

"Is that everything?" He asked. I nodded. "Great, I'm going to go return the moving truck." Chuck kissed me softly before heading to the small u-haul truck on his driveway.

"Be careful driving!" I called after him. He smiled and waved as he drove away. I grabbed a couple boxes of my clothes and carried them upstairs to unpack. As I hung and folded my clothes to be put away in our closet, I reflected on how much things had changed for us in the past month.

Our relationship had finally returned to normal and I was so thankful for it. The past month had been a rollercoaster as Chuck and I worked through all the turmoil that Paloma's words and actions had caused between us. Graduation brought its own emotions with it and I was more than ready to get back into a normal way of life once again.

I heard the door open downstairs and close. I smiled knowing Chuck got home.

"Winona, I'm home!" He called.

"I'm in the closet!" I called back. I could hear Chuck practically run up the stairs to our room and into the closet. He grabbed me tightly in his arms and kissed me.

"I missed you," he said. I laughed.

"You were only gone for forty minutes," I said. He shrugged.

"I still missed you," he said. I smiled and kissed him.

"Welcome home," I said. He smiled widely.

"It's so nice to hear you say that," he said, squeezing me tightly.

We spent the rest of the night unpacking my things and putting them away before we settled on the couch with takeout to watch a movie.

"Babe, do you want wine?" Chuck called from the kitchen. I opened the takeout containers and spread them out on the coffee table.

"Sure!" I called. He appeared moments later with two glasses of wine. He sat down on the couch next to me and started the movie. I took a sip from my wine after eating some food and grimaced.

"Is the wine good?" I asked Chuck. He looked away from the movie and nodded.

"Why wouldn't it be?" He asked. He took a sip from my glass. "Yeah, it's fine, love."

"It tastes weird to me," I said. I took another sip and grimaced again.

"Maybe it's the food flavors not mixing well?" He said. I shrugged.

"Maybe?" I said as I got up from the couch. "I'm going to get some water, do you want some?"

"I'm good! I'll pause the movie," he said. I grabbed a can of sparkling water and opened it. As I took a sip, the calendar on the side of the fridge caught my eye. I did a double take as I looked at the date. I bolted from the kitchen and ran upstairs.

"Winona?" Chuck asked as I ran past him. "You okay?"

I snatched my phone off my nightstand and unlocked it, frantically looking for my period tracking app.

"You okay?" Chuck asked me as he entered our room.

"I think I'm late," I said.