Chapter 17

I barely opened the door to my apartment before Mel jumped on me.

"Why didn't you tell me you were dating someone?!" She shouted, wrapping me into a huge hug.

"It's new!" I gasped, trying to breath as she squeezed me.

"Still! You should've told me!" She said, smacking my shoulder as she released me from her bear hug.

"It's all new, Mel," I said.

"Can I meet him?"

"Not yet," I said. "I'm waiting. If we get serious you can."

"I can't believe my mom got to meet your boyfriend but I don't," she pouted. I rolled my eyes at her theatrics.

"It was a total fluke," I said. "I didn't know your parents would be there."

"My mom said he was handsome," Mel said. "She said he was probably a little older though, and an artist!"

"What else did your mom say?" I laughed. My tone was casual but my stomach was in knots. I couldn't have Mel figure out that it was Chuck.

"Nothing really, just that his name is James and you guys met at work or something like that," she said with a wave of her hand. I let out a small sigh of relief.

"I'm excited for you," Mel said. "And I can't wait to meet him... whenever that is." I nodded.

"If we get serious you will. Right now it's just new," I told her. She nodded furiously.

"I know, I know," she said. "Have you guys kissed?"

I hesitated before nodding. Mel clapped her hands together excitedly.

"Ah! I'm so excited for you!!" She said. I glanced at the clock on the wall. It was just past midnight and we both had class in the morning.

"We should get to bed," I told her. She sighed.

"Fine, but you still need to tell me more about him!"

"I will, just not tonight," I said, heading to my room.

"I'm glad you found someone. Hopefully Chuck will stop flirting with you then," Mel called after me. I laughed at her comment knowing that she didn't know what she was really saying.

The next morning we went to Chuck's class. He was there extra early, a large stack of papers sitting on the front table. He looked a little tired, probably due to our late night. As I sat down he glanced up at me and gave me a small smile before turning back to his computer.

"Okay, I graded everyone's papers. I'm going to hand them back. Overall, great job everyone. Don't forget the second paper is due the week after the midterm, and the midterm is 4 weeks away," Chuck announced, starting class. He started calling students' names and kids made their way up to the front of the auditorium to collect their work. When he called Mel and I, he brought our papers to us in the front row. I had gotten an A on the paper and slipped it into my folder for the class.

Lecture went by quickly, Chuck definitely was tired and a little less enthusiastic than normal but no one payed it much attention. Everyone was starting to get busy with classes and all of were starting to feel more tired with each week of art assignments.

At the end of lecture Chuck packed up quickly and left the room before most students had even finished packing. I made a mental note to text him later and let him know everything is fine with Mel.

"Chuck seemed to be in a mood today," Mel commented as we walked to my car so I could grab my painting supplies.

"Really?" I asked her.