Chapter 33

The rest of the week was a blur. Zac was thankfully absent from our plein-air class on Wednesday, so Chuck and I got to spend a little more time together when he came by to check on me during class.

I spent Wednesday night at Chuck's place, gathering more "references" for my remaining portfolio pieces. I had 3 more paintings to do. Chuck was of course more than happy to help me.

By the time Monday rolled around I had finished another piece leaving two more for the semester. I sat down in Andy's class hoping to talk to him about my ideas for the last two pieces.

"Dude, what did you say to Zac?" Jackson asked me as he came into class. He set his supplies next to me.

"I haven't seen him in over a week," I said. Jackson shook his head.

"Well whatever you said, Joan is upset," he whispered to me as Joan came into the classroom. She saw Jackson next to me and turned away from us, setting up on the other side of the classroom.

"I have no idea what I could've said," I told Jackson. I explained everything that had been going on with Zac to him, and our last interaction.

"I believe you Win," he said. Jackson sat down on the stool next to me. "I don't know what Joan sees in Zac honestly. The guy has always given me the creeps."

"Can you figure out what's going on with Joan for me?" I asked. Jackson nodded.

"Absolutely.  I'm not letting my two closest friends stop talking over any guy, but especially this creep."

Andy made his way around the classroom to our side and I asked him for a quick meeting about my remaining pieces. He agreed and said he'd grab me once he checked in with everyone else.

I sketched out the concept for my ninth painting of my series. The two faceless people I had been painting were intertwined once again on a bed together. The sheets and blankets around them coiled and twisted around them. The silhouette of the couple combined with the sheets created an anatomical heart.

I pondered the drawing once it was on the canvas in its large, final size, debating if it was too cheesy.

"I like it," Andy said. I jumped, not realizing he was right behind me.

"Jesus Christ," I yelped. Andy laughed.

"Sorry to scare you," he said, patting my back. "Are you ready to talk?"

———

Andy and I took a walk around the art department. I showed him photos of the pieces I had completed since our last review and explained to him my ninth piece that I was sketching.

"It all seems cohesive," he said. "But what about the tenth?"

"So I drew something out," I said. "But I don't think it's strong enough."

"Why's that?"

"I just feel like it feels too similar to these last three," I said. "The emotion I'm trying to convey has grown in the last three, but I feel like if I do what I have in mind for the tenth that it's going to be a flat line of emotion and no different from the rest."

"If your gut is telling you that then you should listen to it," he said. "I like the ones you've done so far. I think you've got this in the bag, Win." I smiled at Andy.

"Thanks, Andy," I said. "It means a lot coming from you."

We started to head back to the classroom. The doors to the building swung open as we approached and Chuck stepped out, talking with the Dean of the arts college.

"Hey there," Andy said as we walked up. My cheeks blushed slightly as Chuck looked over from his conversation with the Dean.

"Oh hey, Andy," Chuck said, shaking hands with Andy. Chuck turned to me. "Miss Smith, nice to see you."

"Nice to see you too," I said quietly. Chuck flashed me a quick smile before turning back to the Dean and Andy.

"Nice to see you Professor," the dean said to Andy, shaking his hand. "Heading back to class?"

"We are," Andy said. "I usually do reviews with my students one on one and we take walks, it's easier for a lot of them to talk when they're not in a quiet studio."

"Which class is this?" The Dean asked.

"The capstone for painting," Andy said. "Winona here has probably one of the best portfolios I've seen in years." Andy patted my shoulder. I felt my face turn red.

"I don't know if I'd say that, but I appreciate the compliment," I laughed awkwardly. I glanced over at Chuck who had a displeased look on his face at Andy's hand on my shoulder.

"What's your theme?" The Dean asked me. Suddenly my mouth went dry.

"Uh," I said, feeling my face redden. "N-New relationships and how the intimacy develops."

The Dean shook his head with a pleased expression.

"I'm sure it will be fantastic if Professor Gibb says it is," the Dean said. He shook hands with Andy and Chuck again before heading back to his office.

"Chuck if you have time, you should come by and see the work in my capstone class right now," Andy said. "If you'll be teaching this class next year you should know what you're getting yourself into."

"Next year?" I asked Andy. Andy nodded.

"I'm taking a sabbatical next year," he said. "I'll still be teaching next semester and I'll finish out this academic year, but next school year I'll be gone."

"Oh," I said. "Well at least you'll still be teaching the gallery for me."

"Chuck will be co-teaching with me next semester to get the hang of the class, but next year he's taking it over until I'm back." I looked over at Chuck who was nodding in agreement.

"I'd love to come by, I just need to go by my office real quick," Chuck said. Andy told him which classroom to head to and Chuck went off to his office. My stomach twisted thinking about the piece I was currently working on. It was something I wasn't ready for Chuck to see.

"Is it alright with you if I take off to work at home?" I asked Andy as we got back to the room.

"Oh," he said, surprised. "Sure."

I quickly packed my things and headed out to my car. I texted Chuck that I wasn't feeling well and was heading home. I didn't want him to see this piece until it was complete.

I laid my sketched out canvas in my trunk and looked at it. My stomach filled with butterflies.

I really loved Chuck.