Chapter 10

Zac gathered his things and gave me a small wave before leaving the classroom. I looked over at Chuck who was focused on something on his computer. The door clicking shut behind Zac sounded like a firecracker popping and made me jump. I packed up my things quickly, anxiously hoping Chuck would say something. I turned my back to Chuck, about to leave when he broke the silence of the room.

"I hope you know that I like your painting." I looked over at him and he was staring at me. His face had softened since Zac had left and I didn't realize how frustrated he had made my teacher feel.

"I appreciate that," I said.

"I'm sorry if I came off too harsh," he said. Chuck closed his laptop and moved towards me. My breath hitched as he moved closer to me, but he stopped, leaning back onto one of the tables just in front of me. He crossed his arms over his chest, accentuating how broad his shoulders were. I looked at his calloused hands, the veins in the back of his hands prominent from working with them all day. 

"You didn't," I said. "I just think he thought you were."

"He likes you," Chuck said, matter of fact. I shook my head.

"What? We just met."

"So did we. And?" I did a semi double take.

"What?" I said, unsure if I understood correctly. Chuck sighed and uncrossed his arms from his chest, putting them on either side of him instead as he leaned back on the table.

"You heard me."

"I'm not sure if I understood you correctly," I said. Chuck stood up, and took a step towards me. My heart rate picked up and I could hear my pulse.

"I noticed you my first class with you," Chuck said. He took another step towards me. I opened my mouth to say something but no words came out.

"I know it's only been a few hours," he said. His voice was soft and warm. "Have you thought at all about what I mentioned earlier?"

"I have," I said. I looked up into Chuck's blue eyes and lost my train of thought. His eyes had flecks of gold and green scattered through them. He raised his eyebrows at me.

"And?" He said softly, his voice practically a whisper.

"I'm interested, but I want to make sure I understand you correctly," I said. "You want to 'help' me with my portfolio." I formed bunny ears in the air around the word help.

"Yes."

"And by help you mean...."

"Well," Chuck said. His hand reached up and caressed the side of my arm gently. He ran his hand down my arm and down to my hand, leaving warm tingles as he moved. He gently took my hand in his and rubbed the back of it aimlessly with his thumb.

"I think it would be best if we discuss this over dinner."

"Dinner?"

"A date, actually," Chuck said. My heart skipped. "I would like to take you on a date."

"A date?"

"Yes, a date. A beautiful girl like you deserves a date. I will of course make sure this doesn't jeopardize your education here. And, you can't say anything about this to anyone."

"Of course," I said. My heart leaped at his compliment. He thought I was beautiful.

"Let's just start with a date," he said. "And if you enjoy yourself, we can continue from there. I want to make sure you're comfortable with this, every step of the way."

"Okay," I said. "When and where?" Chuck let go of my hand and reached into his bag momentarily. He held out a piece of paper and pen to me.

"Write down your phone number. I will text you with the details of our date." I nodded, my stomach full of butterflies. I took the paper and pen from him and scribbled my number down before handing it back to him. He glanced at it momentarily before folding it and placing it in his pant pocket.

"If you've changed your mind when I text you, or at any point, please let me know," he said. "I will understand. Things will stop immediately. I will not change the way I teach you or anything like that."

I nodded and Chuck smiled at me. I bit my lip and looked away, a blush creeping over my face again. Chuck's hand found my chin and turned me to face him.

"And stop hiding your face from me," he whispered. His warm and raspy voice enveloped me like a blanket. I felt my cheeks blush harder and I nodded.

"I - I should go," I stammered. Chuck stepped away from me, his hand leaving my chin, and turned back to his things. The skin he touched tingled as the cool air attacked the warmth left from his hand.

"See you next week, Winona," he said, but his tone hinted that I would see him sooner than that. I swallowed hard.

"See you," I said awkwardly as I left the classroom in a daze.