Chapter 19: Sweet Dreams

Start from the beginning

"You must realise that you're surrounded," the Darkling stated with a psychopathic calmness.

The Fjerdan began to look around frantically, trying to keep track of the Darkling as he made his way up the slope.

"No closer!" he screeched.

The Darkling stopped. "Give her to me, and I'll let you scurry back to your king."

Ok, sure.

The soldier giggled now. "Oh no, oh no, I don't think so." The knife was now held right above Mother's heart. Darkling... "The Darkling doesn't spare lives," he continued, "he will not have you. He will not have the witch. He will not have this power too."

The knife went higher. The soldier yowled before dealing the killing blow.

"Skirden, Fjerda!"

Before the knife could meet its mark, the Darkling sliced the Fjerdan through with the cut, the body splitting neatly in two.

Oh, poor Mother. This would've been the first time.

She screamed.

The Darkling hurried up the hill and knelt beside her, blocking her view of the desecrated body.

 "Look at me," he instructed.

"What did you do to him," she inquired, her voice breaking.

"What I had to do. Can you stand?"

She nodded, the movement quite haphazard. The Darkling took her hands in his and lifted her back to her feet.

"Clear the road. I need twenty riders," he commanded.

"And the girl?" Ivan asked. 

Where did he come from?

"Rides with me," the Darkling confirmed.

Mother was left with the horse as he went to talk with his captains (I assumed). It didn't take him very long.

"A decoy," said the Darkling, now beside Mother. "We'll take the southern trails. It's what we should've done in the first place."

"So you do make mistakes," Mother quipped.

I understood why he liked her. I smiled.

He paused, making mother tense. "I didn't mean-" she began.

"Of course I make mistakes," he stated. His mouth curved into something that resembled amusement.

"Just not often."

He raised his hood and offered Mother his hand to help her up. I noticed she hesitated for a second.

I suppose I could understand. The Darkling did look intimidating.

"I did what I had to, Alina."

Still nothing. The Darkling tried again, more to the point this time.

"You're shaking."

This time she responded.

"I'm not used to people trying to kill me."

"Really? I hardly notice anymore."

I was gobsmacked. How could the Darkling say that when she was... He really could be daft sometimes, I realised.

He still wore his half-smile, even though he was not kidding.

Mother turned around and replied.

"And I did just see a man get sliced in half."

I could hear the panic rising in Mother. She tried to keep her tone light, but there was a tone of fear in it that she couldn't control. Without saying anymore, the Darkling switched his reins to one hand, placing his hand on Mother's neck - probably using his amplifier abilities to calm her nerves. He then kicked the horse's side. Once moving in a canter, they were off.

Mother was safe, but now I was stressed. What the heck had I just witnessed? How had this happened? Was this in real-time? Why couldn't Mother see me? This was not our usual connection. I didn't know what any of this meant. That scared me.

I took a deep breath, trying to placate my own nerves.

Mother was safe. That's all that mattered. Mother was safe, and I hadn't been written out of existence. They would make it back to the Little Palace. I repeated these reassurances, a mantra in my mind. But my mind was going to other places... why was I being shown this? What was the significance?

It could only mean one thing.

I really needed to get back home.