Chapter 30 - Farewell

Brenna Blackwater

Jasper and I stood just outside the gates. He embraced me in his muscular arms and pressed his lips onto my forehead. His tusks grazed my skin gently before he pulled away to look at me. I trailed my fingers around the outlines of his scars.

A few more weeks had passed, and now Jasper was well enough to return to the battlefield to lead his men. He was leaving me again. As a princess and only heir of my father, I expected to marry a man I'd have to share with a kingdom and rarely see. Half of that outcome was true. I am to marry an orc; I have repeated this to myself these past few weeks. It didn't seem real. I had grown up to hate and fear them. Now, I am willingly going to marry their Chief.

Jasper made me feel safe and loved. He cared for my physical and emotional needs. Jasper is kind, loving, and loyal. He had all the qualities I could ever dream of receiving from a husband. Regardless of my excitement, I still had fears. I do not doubt Jasper's ability to be a good and faithful husband, but I fear how humans will react to a union between a princess and an orc. There is no telling how this marriage could add fuel to the fire.

Jasper gazed into my eyes with a sorrowful expression. "I'm sorry I need to leave again." I didn't know what to say to him. I knew it was his duty to be with his men. I didn't want to begrudge him for it. "Brenna, now that I'm better, it wouldn't be right for me not to join my men. Just think, when you see me again, we will be married," he said happily, trying to get a smile out of it.

Of course, it worked. I smiled softly and began to blush. I could feel that same sensation growing in my stomach. By looking at Jasper, you'd never know he could be this sweet. I have yet to see him show his soft side to others except for Helena and me. Jasper had been a complete gentleman these past few weeks. He had not touched me since the night he asked for my hand. I yearned for him, but I was too embarrassed to initiate it. At the same time, I felt terribly guilty for having done anything at all before marriage.

I still don't know exactly how everything worked, but after he pressed his member between my legs, I had an idea. My body burns for him, but I couldn't give myself to him fully yet. Would it hurt? Would I be too inexperienced to satisfy him? Thinking about it has only increased my fears about it all. I needed to know more to calm my nerves. I needed to be more prepared but didn't know how to be.

I felt Leif's wet nose nudge against my leg. I snapped back to reality and looked at him. He lay at my feet, begging for attention. Leif stared up at me with those puppy dog eyes. His whole bottom wiggled as he wagged his tail excitedly now that he had my attention. Even though he was massive, he was still a puppy and not fit to be ridden. However, Jasper saw it essential to bring him along for training. I knelt and kissed his snout.

"I'm going to miss you, Leify," I said in the sweetest voice possible. He happily licked at my cheeks, causing me to giggle.

"He'll never be fit for war at this rate," Jasper chuckled.

"Oh, he's the meanest beast I ever saw," I said while patting Leif's head. "Alright, Leif, your job is to protect my Jasper," I said while gazing back into those golden puppy eyes. He cocked his head from side to side curiously. His ears flopped over, making me giggle.

Jasper pulled me up and nestled me into his chest. "I will come back to you, Brenna. You have my word." We said our final goodbyes as Jasper finished readying the warg he was to ride back to their camp. Jasper tied a rope between Leif and the older warg. Leif was visibly adolescent in nature, so this was to keep him close in hopes he'd learn by example. He would be able to see the behavior of the adult warg and receive regular training from Jasper.

Once Jasper was mounted, he gave me a heart-wrenching expression. This war had clearly taken a toll on him. I could see his face harden as he addressed his men. Seeing him be so assertive and taking charge of his men made that yearning grow inside me. He gave me one final look and mouthed the words I love you, before taking his place at the front of the company and riding off.

The sound of warg paws beat against the ground. A few moments later, they vanished behind the green foliage. I stood a moment longer with my eyes closed, listening to their beating rhythm move through the forest. Soon after, all was silent except for the melodies of nearby songbirds. I whisper to myself. "I love you too, Jasper Bloodborne." I exhaled and turned to enter the safety of the mountain gates.

END

BOOK TWO - Coming Soon