Chapter 20 - Wayward

Brenna Blackwater

It had been hours since Jasper told me about the war between Blackwater and the Orruk. I wasn't sure what to believe. I wanted to trust him, but I could not believe my father could do and say something so cruel. I sat in Jasper's bed, trying to decide what to do when the door creaked open. I could smell the scent of ale coming off of him from the doorway. His brow furrowed as he spoke. "What can I do," Jasper pleaded with me.

I slowly lifted my eyes to meet his hardened gaze. My lip began to quiver as I tried to speak. "Take me home," my voice cracked as I let out a sob.

"If that's what you want," He spoke. I could tell my words had fractured him. He said nothing more and left.

My head was spinning. I didn't know what to believe. I wanted to trust Jasper, but we are supposed to hold our elders in high regard. It felt wrong to doubt my father. Could he genuinely care so little for his own child? I knew he could be cruel, but I did not want to believe he could do this. How could he have an entire kingdom raging war without question?

I did not want to believe my father viewed me as expendable. I felt sick to my stomach. I needed to find out for myself. I did not want to hurt Jasper, but I had no other choice. He had my things packed within the hour. He did not speak. His entire demeanor changed. It was like he put up this protective wall and shut me out. I had hurt him, and he did not want to show it. Everything happened so suddenly. I didn't expect to leave within the same day. He was very prompt about it all.

He walked me to the entryway of the castle. I looked at the gates in front of us that separated me from the outside world. Am I making a mistake? He held my hand for a moment and squeezed it. Then he spoke for the first time since I uttered the words- take me home.

"If you ever choose to leave Blackwater, come visit me, will you," he said with pain in his eyes. I didn't give myself a chance to respond. He turned and walked back to the mountains. Sten placed his hands on my hips to lift me onto his warg. Another orc loaded up the few belongings I had acquired. Most of it was things Jasper had gifted me.

"I figure we'll have you back in Blackwater by sundown," Sten said as we rode away from the mountains. I couldn't help but peer back and watch the mountains disappear behind the foliage as we departed.

We didn't speak the rest of the way there. We approached the border just as the sun set, exactly as he said. We must have been on the road since midday. I grew more anxious as we rode closer. Was Jasper telling the truth about my father? My heart began pounding. I could see a clearing up ahead. We must be nearing the border now. Sten started to slow his warg and move forward more cautiously. I heard men up ahead calling out to one another. They were signaling that there was movement in the tree line.

I saw Sten's jaw clench. He was clearly on edge. It had not occurred to me that doing this would put him in potential danger. Soon, we were close enough that they were now in view. From what I could tell, there were a few soldiers up ahead. They seemed to be on watch. Sten called out, "We don't want any trouble. I have come to return Brenna of Blackwater Hold," his voice echoed off the trees around us.

We slowly approached the clearing and stopped just at the border. My father's men stood on guard with spears pointed toward us. Sten looked annoyed at this but didn't react otherwise. He swung his leg out to dismount the warg before helping me down. Sten placed the bag of belongings in my hands before getting back on his warg. I glanced up at him and gave him a thankful expression. He nodded back in return.

I took my things and walked toward the soldiers ahead of me. I still wondered if I had made the right choice. It was too late to change my mind now. They pulled me atop a horse and ushered me to Blackwater Hold.