Chapter 14 - Grand Tour

Chief Bloodborne

It had been nearly a week since I last spoke to Brenna. I had been too occupied battling her people. She still knew nothing. I did not want to keep the truth from her. How could I tell her? What would I even say? Would she believe me? I wanted to be honest with her. She was already frightened. This news could make her all the worse. How was I supposed to tell this woman her father deceived us and had practically traded her to us for his own life? He all but said to use her as a whore. Now he has turned the tables around and told his people we ransacked his court and abducted her. Everything had escalated. Aside from this looming over my head, I had not come across spare time to tell her.

Corvus told her before she left that he had pledged her to me, and she needed to go with us. She knew that much, at least. I knew sending her back would solve nothing. Corvus couldn't care less what happened to her. What was I supposed to do? His terms were clear; turning her over would not resolve anything. She was not his motive. He was after my head and my kingdom. He had planned this all from the start. However, he did not plan that we would overpower that puny company of men at my border. In the end, it worked in his favor. He could add this to his false list of reasons to get more men marching our way.

I was aching to see her again. I was supposed to be heading to the war room soon to meet with the elder Orruk to discuss further plans. It won't hurt the old farts to wait, I thought to myself. I decided to sneak away from my obligations, only for a moment, to show her around. I went up to her door and knocked. I hoped she was decent this time. I heard some banging and scuffling. I worried something was awry and burst through the door, ready to fight whoever was there. I found Brenna on the floor, holding her ankle. She looked at me with an embarrassed expression.

"I'm okay. I just misstepped when I went to answer the door," Brenna said shyly. Her cheeks were already blushing.

I went to her hastily and kneeled on the floor next to her. I took her foot in my hands to examine it. I inspected it for a moment and massaged it. "I think you just sprained it," I chuckled, relieved she was okay. I carefully pressed my lips on the front of her ankle before setting it down. "So, does this mean you aren't up for my grand tour," I asked lightheartedly, hoping she still wanted me to show her around. I swear I heard her heart flutter a little.

She smiled shyly, "I think I can manage."

With those words, I scooped her up in my arms. She gasped, not expecting me to pick her up. I held her against my chest and walked out the door. I realized she was wearing the green dress I got from the merchant. "That color looks beautiful on you," I complimented.

She looked slightly embarrassed, so I sat her on her feet once I got to the door. I adored her blushing cheeks and had nearly forgotten about my obligations. I felt guilty for neglecting my duties to show her around, but she was worth it. I put my arm out to escort her. Helena once told me that's how they do it in their culture, so I figured I would try it; to my surprise, she slipped her arm around mine and smiled at me.

***

Brenna Blackwater

My heart pounded as he sat me on my feet. I could not help it. He just had this charm to him. How could this orc, who seems so intimidating, be so kind to me? He stopped outside my room and gestured to the door across from mine. "Alright now. I am going to trust you not to smother me in my sleep. Here are my living quarters," Bloodborne chuckled and winked at me.

"I would never," I laughed jokingly. He was tremendous. His muscles rippled as he pulled me along. I felt so small and insignificant next to him. I could not help but stare at him to take in his features. I tried to be sneaky about it. I only hoped he would not catch me gawking at him. He was so dissimilar from a human male but not any less handsome. I could not deny that he was attractive.