Chapter 8 - Catmint

Chief Bloodborne

While Sten got some clothes on, I checked with some of the warriors who had been out doing rounds. I hoped one of them had seen them and knew where the traders might be today. I sent word to have our wargs readied. I hoped to leave soon so we could get back before late afternoon. Thankfully, as we approached the front entrance, my warg, Amity, and Sten's warg, Angus, were already waiting for us.

We took a few moments to check them over to be sure their gear was secure before we mounted up. According to one warrior, the traders had moved further north. We would still need to ride south but not cross the border to trade with them. I feared the merchants might have moved further inland into the strip of land that Corvus had promised me yesterday. I suspect the area may be teaming with Blackwater Soldiers.

"Will you tell me what the fuck we are doing out here?" Sten asked.

"I need to get a few things from the traders on our southern borders. I thought it wise not to travel alone after what happened in Blackwater. I might be Chief, but I'm not stupid," I replied. "Also, I want to scope out our reclaimed territory while in the area."

"You think Corvus would be ignorant enough to fuck with us after yesterday?"

"You'd be surprised. It's not unlike humans to make cocksure decisions."

Thankfully, the merchants were further north than we thought. To my surprise, we found them after riding for maybe an hour. Most human kingdoms would not trade with the Orruk, but lucky for us, the occasional wandering trader would. Many were still wary of us, but most of their profit came from us. These particular merchants had been trading with us for quite some time, so I was not too worried about having any issues with them except the occasional price gouging.

"Would you like to take a look at our wares?" one of the women asked.

"Yes, thank you," I replied while dismounting my warg.

"Is there anything, in particular, you are looking for?"

Not wanting Sten to know I'd drug him out here for women's clothing, I threw in some other reasonable items when telling her what I needed. Of course, he still had something to say. "Why in the hell do you need to buy women's clothing? Are you planning on cross-dressing or something?" he laughed.

"Ah, shut the fuck up. The new female did not bring any clothing," I said, not wanting to mention her name in front of strangers.

"You mean to tell me that Princess has the orc Chief out in the woods dress shopping?" He laughed. "That girl must have you whipped and has not even put out."

My head dropped, hoping the trader had not paid him any mind. I did not want to be questioned by these people. Most of them were suspicious of us as it was. I turned to him and gave him a look, letting him know to shut the fuck up. Gods, he makes it so hard to restrain my anger. Sten could be so fucking thick in the head sometimes.

I browsed through what she had laid out while she went through a few sacks on their caravan. Thankfully, she had a handful of chemises. I took those off her hands. I just hoped this stuff would fit her. I learned many women have these sorts of things custom-made for them. I could only hope that Helena could adjust them for her. What other undergarments do women wear, I wonder? I really had no clue what to look for.

I looked over my shoulder to see Sten pissing on a nearby tree. I shook my head and turned my attention back to the merchant. "Do you have any dresses," I asked her. She went into her tent to dig through a trunk. She pulled out a dark emerald green floor-length gown.

She ran her hands over the soft, velvety fabric before holding it up for me to see. The neckline was low, the waist cinched, and it had long bishop-styled sleeves. Across the back was a sewn-in floor-length cape made of sheer fabric in the same green hue. There was no telling how the trader acquired it or if it would fit Brenna. "This one is a bit much," she said. "It's not a day-to-day maid's dress. If you know what I mean."