Chapter 10 - Rising Tensions

Brenna Blackwater

Once Chief Bloodborne left, I jumped up from my hiding spot and went to the chestnut vanity against the wall. I looked into the tarnished mirror and was not surprised by the tired girl who looked back at me. Thank the Gods I hid behind the bed, I thought. My long caramel hair was now wild and sticking up on one side. Red lines engraved the right side of my face, and my eyes looked hollowed from sobbing and sleeping on the stone floor.

I quickly rambled through the drawers to find anything to fix this monstrosity before he came back. Thankfully, I found a wooden comb and a silver-handled hairbrush in one of the drawers. They were more than I had hoped for. I carefully pick through the mass of tangles on my head. Just then, there was a light knock on the door. "Good morning, my lady. I've brought you a pitcher of water to wash up before breakfast."

Again, I felt a little surprised. I never expected the orc to be so civilized and show such hospitality to guests. I may have misjudged them in yet another way. I felt ashamed because I did not know what to expect from these people aside from the horrible stories passed around at home. Maybe this was all a trick. I only hoped they were not giving me special treatment because of who I was. "Thank you," I replied as she sat it and a towel beside the basin in the washroom before leaving.

They must not have received the message that I hadn't had a bath. That was partially my fault, though. I sat down the brush once my made was tame. I walked over to the matching white porcelain pitcher and carefully poured the water into the basin. I secured my neat hair behind my ears before leaning over. I splashed a bit of water onto my face. I sucked in a bit of air through clenched teeth. I wasn't expecting the water to be so cold, but it only took a moment to get used to it.

I dipped my hands in the basin and gave them a quick scrub before patting my face dry with the linen towel. I looked at my reflection from across the room. I did not look too bad now except for a few dingy spots on my dress from having ridden on that animal and messing around with fire tools. I dipped a part of the towel into the basin and used it to dab at the dirt on my dress.

I never saw myself as a worldly person. I think most people assume that about me because of my status. I cared little for clothes and other fine things. Honestly, I was quite the opposite. I did want to be neat and put together, so I did have a few simple dresses at home. I did not want to stand out. I went out of my way to make myself smaller to avoid my father's wrath.

However, I wished I had the sense to grab a few things before I left home. I was in such a panic when that orc came for me in my bed chamber; the thought of clothes and such was not on my mind. All I had now was a nude peach-colored gown made of sheer layered fabric. It was relatively plain besides the long flowing bell sleeves. It was not unlike most of my dresses. None of them were incredibly grandiloquent with things like embroidery or beads.

After some time, the servant brought up my breakfast on a wooden platter. She carefully placed it on the edge of the large bed. It sank about an inch into the soft, fur-lined mattress. The meal consisted of alpine strawberries, a bowl of oatmeal, and a cup of goat's milk to drink. I waited around the room, expecting him to come in unannounced, but hours seemed to pass, and nothing. To curb my boredom, I began to snoop more around the room. Later that day, the same servant girl served lunch and left me to myself again.

***

I spent several hours pacing around or lying across the enormous bed, worried that I had offended him. I quickly shook the thought from my mind and continued waiting until I could not wait anymore. Gods, I cannot handle this crushing boredom and anxiety. I did not want to seem too worried about why he had not returned, but I at least needed to know what time it was. I worked up the courage to push open the giant door to the room and peeked out. The hall was gigantic. Door after door lined the seemingly endless hall. They all looked the same.