Epilogue

Haru puts on a beautiful dark coloured kimono. He looks at the mirror and smiles. This will be the first summer festival he's been at in years.

"Damn, I look very charming in this. Hehe" he chuckled as he marvelled at his reflection.

He picked up his phone

He picked up his phone. It's still 30 minutes from the time he and Michiyo promised to meet. "It's pretty early, but I guess I could go now. Can't keep her waiting" he thought.

Haru arrived at the festival grounds. The festival had just started a few minutes ago, but it's already crowded with people.

He saw some children running around happily with their prize toys that they won. He smiled. This cozy, normal feeling, it's making him really happy.

30 minutes passed just like that. Yet, no sign of Michiyo. Haru gulped, checking his watch. He knows, if this happens, it's never something good. He tried to shake it off, yet he has a feeling that something bad is happening.

He finally decided to go check on her. He rode his motorbike and zoomed out of the area.

During his way there, he can see a thick black smoke from a distance. He already starts to think negatively. And finally, he can confirm his worries. The moment he arrives at the mansion, all he can see is blazing red flames and thick smoke. He covers his mouth and nose and hurriedly tried to find a way inside.

He can already hear the sound of sirens from a distance. Yet he knows it's never too early to make a move to save them.

He ran to the backyard. He was shocked to see a man standing there, casually smoking a cigarette. He ran over to the man and grabbed his collar.

"Who are you?! What are you.." Haru stopped talking when he realised who it is. "Hi, Haru. Long time no see" Chikage smiles.

Haru lets go of Chikage's collar. "What... Why are you here? What did you do..?" He stammered. "Firstly, sorry for disappearing for so long. And secondly, I realized how you have not completed your mission.

I gave you all this time not to waste it. I even helped with that guy who keeps bothering you. And since you don't seem to be making progress, I decided to end it for you" Chikage answered, blowing smoke from his mouth.

"But.. I.." Haru gritted his teeth. He looked away. "Tell me you didn't give up on being an assassin. Because as long as I live, you're not getting away from all this. Or did you perhaps got a little bit too close to Michiyo?" Chikage spoke, as if he knew everything.

Michiyo weakly crawls on the floor. She finally finds a way out of the burning mansion. Her face wounded, and her leg is half burnt. Blood is flowing from her forehead.

She can see Haru at a distance. At first, she thought she was dreaming, but she has no time to think.

"..Michiyo... Means nothing to me.."

Michiyo was close enough to hear Haru say that. Her heart broke apart. "Is everything a lie...then? How about... Yesterday..?" She muttered. She can hear Haru continuing his speech, yet she couldn't decipher it. All she hears is murmuring as her vision faded.

And finally, she blacks out.

❖❖❖