Chapter XVI

Haru's hand was shaking. He hesitated, yet again. Deciding his won't be as easy as freeing Michiyo. "Should I kill him because he's an assassin trying to do his job... Or should I let him go because he's my friend?" Haru thought. To him, this is a very tough decision. But to Amane, he just thinks he should die.

"Come on, Haru. Kill me. If you kill me, then you and Michiyo will be free. I'm not like you, a bad guy trying to be good" Amane spoke weakly. He took his knife with a trembling hand, and stabbed Haru's waist. "Argh!" Haru shouted in pain, while also trying to lower his voice to not be discovered.

"Kill me or I'll kill you first. Your decision" Amane added.

"But.. Why can't you try to be good? Just stop this madness! I can't kill you because you're just doing your job... I-"

"You just don't want to kill me because I'm your friend, right? Because before, you threatened me many times to protect Michiyo" Amane snapped, catching Haru off-guard.

"I... Just stop, okay? I don't want to be the one to kill you! I don't want you to be the one to kill Michiyo! I don't want us to kill each other!" Haru spoke. For some reason, tears began flowing down his cheeks. He has thought that when he stopped becoming an assassin, his life would be good with Michiyo and Amane. Who would've thought...

Amane started tearing up as well. Probably from all the mixed feelings. He feels like he wanted to stand up and fight, yet he wanted to die now too. He feels like he wants to change, but he doesn't want to become a 'bad assassin'. At the same time, he feels angry at Haru for hesitating, yet he also feels sad somehow..

"I won't kill you! Just come and live a normal life with us" Haru offered. Amane closed his eyes, and breathed deeply. "Please don't tell Michiyo that I tried to kill you guys"

With that, Amane suddenly pulled Haru's hand, which caused his knife to stab Amane's neck. "Wait, Amane!" Haru shouted.

Amane coughed. "Don't.... Let Michiyo... Feel sad for me... Promise...?" He spoke weakly, coughing blood before closing  his eyes. Haru panickly checked Amane's pulse. His tears starts flowing wilder when he realized the cruel truth...

"I.. Promise......" He said, crying.

A few days has passed. Haru managed to convince the cops that he, Michiyo and Amane were attacked by someone, and Amane died protecting them. With no evidence to deny it, thanks to Haru's abity to hide everything, the police went on a search for nothing.

Amane's funeral was held to honor him as a hero... But Haru knows the truth. Still, he dared not to tell anyone, as he doesn't want everyone to think Amane is bad just because he's doing his job.

"Yeah, I totally only think like that because he's my friend" Haru chuckled weakly.

He still wonders... Is what he's doing right or wrong? Hiding the monster under the mask of a hero... Just because he's a friend...

Haru shakes his head. He makes his way to the hospital to check on Michiyo who just regained consciousness. She was pretty badly injured before Haru arrived at the scene, so she had to be hospitalized for some more time. Haru had already treated and hid his wounds by himself, so he didn't need to be at the hospital too.

Haru breathed deeply. "Time to fulfill Amane's last wish" he whispered.