Chapter IV

"Haru-chan! Haru-chan!"

Haru turned to the source of the voice. A young girl chased him happily.

He was confused. "Where am I? Who is she?" He thought, looking around. All he can see is white. Only the girl is there with him.

The girl leaped and threw her arms around him, hugging him tightly. Haru, however, was still clueless and dumbfounded. "Who- who are you...?" He brought up the courage to ask.

The girl lets go of the hug and looks at him, confused. "Y-you don't remember Gold-chan?" She starts sobbing.

Haru panicked. He tried to console the girl, yet when he wanted to pat the girl's head, he was suddenly shaken awake by somebody.

"Haru..?? Earth to Haru!" Amane called, shaking Haru almost aggressively. Haru came back to his senses. "Ah..? What? What?!" Haru shouted, attracting the attention of everyone around. Amane bursted into laughter.

"Hahahaha!! What's wrong with you? You just stared at Michiyo, forgetting this poor soul beside you, then shout like a madman! Let me guess, you're captivated by her beauty? Love at first sight?" He teased.

Haru was about to deny it, then suddenly something soared to his mind. "Y-yes! She's gorgeous, I can't take my eyes off. Will you help me here?" He lied.

Amane smiled. "Sure, anything for my lovestruck friend. Hehe, finally, I can be a wingman!" He said enthusiastically.

Haru silently smirked. "This guy is so easy to deceive. He'll be plenty useful for me" he thought.

                             ❖

Haru and Amane silently approaches Michiyo, who is sitting alone at the cafeteria. They placed their food on the table, and smiled as they sat down.

"May we sit here?" Amane asked gently. Michiyo looked at them with curiosity. "Well, no ones sitting here, and you guys already took the seats. So, feel free" she spoke with a gentle, sweet voice. "So, Michiyo, have you met this guy? He's the new student the same year as us!" Amane introduced.

Michiyo remained silent, and nodded. She noticed how Haru shouted earlier, that counts as already meeting him.... In a way..?

The three fell into awkward silence. None of them knew what to say, and they ended up just silently chewing on their food until recess is over.

                            ❖

"It's okay, my guy, we still have a lot of chances to talk to her. It's only your first day anyway" Amane patted Haru's back as they walked back out of the school. They had failed to meet up with Michiyo after recess, and they haven't seen her around anywhere, even though they and walked all over the school for Haru's tour.

Haru looked at him, confused, then recalled that he was lying to him about falling in love at first sight.

"A-ah, yes, yes.." He responded quietly.

They walked out of the gates, and waved goodbye. Haru didn't head home, rather he went straight to Chikage's office.

He arrived, and walked in uninvited. "Ah, Haru. Here you are. So, any luck meeting her?" Chikage asked. "Yes, I did meet her... I guess? But we didn't talk much, she's very quiet' Haru replied.

"That's a pity. Listen, I can let you take all the time you need for this, but of course, doesn't mean you'll always be free. Found the bodyguards? You eliminate them, then the first obstacle is brought down" Chikage spoke.

Haru nodded. "I haven't seen any of them, but I found a few clues and possible spots for them to hide. I'll deal with them ASAP" he said confidently. "Splendid, I'm looking forward to you progress. In the meantime, I have another mission for you" Chikage smiled.

"Another mission? But aren't I on one?" Haru groaned. "Indeed, but that doesn't mean you can laze off like that. There's still a lot of clients waiting for us, so chop chop, and get out of my sight" Chikage explained.

Haru left the office. His next target is just around here, so he headed straight towards them.

                           ❖

Haru had his target in a weak position, and slayed them easily, not even a single drop of blood staining his uniform. Just as he was about to leave, he sensed someone watching him. He pointed his gun at the person, standing on top of the border wall of the alley.

"Who are you?" He asked bravely. The black-dressed figure said no words. "Tch" the figure simply went away, disappearing into the night.

Haru was confused. Yet, he doesn't feel safe now. That guy might just be an undercover police. He sighed. "I'll deal with him later" he concluded and left the alley.

                            ❖