Chapter IX

"Haru-san, Do you really don't mind waiting with me here? Aren't you cold?" Michiyo asked, concerned. For some reason, her driver still hasn't arrived even after almost 40 minutes of waiting.

"Ah, I don't, really" Haru answered, scratching his head. "I need to protect her until my mission is over. Who knows when that man will come" he thought.

50 minutes in. Still no sign of Michiyo's car. The night is getting deeper, by now it should already be bedtime for the two of them.

"Did something happen? Why isn't he here yet?" Michiyo monologed. She checked her phone multiple times to text her driver, but no response. She even resulted in calling him, but she only received a voicemail every time.

"Why didn't you call your parents? Maybe they can do something?" Haru suggested. Michiyo shook her head. "No, they said they have a really important matter to attend to tonight. They won't be back until tomorrow morning, and I don't want to disturb them" she told.

Haru sighed. He wanted to go home badly, but his worries about the strange man ruining his mission is always lingering in his mind.

Finally, they heard the sound of a car. "Ah, finally! There he is!" Michiyo exclaimed joyfully. Haru escorted her to the car.

"Thank you for today, Haru-san! It was fun while it lasted. See you at school!" Michiyo waved as she entered the car. Haru was just about to close the door for her, when he noticed something weird about the driver.

The driver looked at him from the side mirror. He knew Haru could see him. He showed a knife to Haru, and placed a finger on his lips.

Haru was shocked. He quickly stopped his actions and pulled Michiyo out of the car. Michiyo, out of shock, stumbled and fell onto the ground.

"Ah, I shouldn't have done that, should I?" The man spoke. Haru noticed the familar young voice from the incident the other day, and knew it was the same man.

"I don't know you guys are together? Bold of you to go out dating until late at night when you have school tomorrow. Don't worry, I'm going to school too, so we can be late together"

Haru was suspicious. "Who is this man really? His voice sounds really young, almost my age. But his height.... If he goes to school, he's probably a college student..." He thought. 

"Ay, enough chit chat. I won't let you interfere with my mission!" The man said, before suddenly swinging the knife at Michiyo. Haru stood in front of her to shield her. It caused his right shoulder to get wounded instead.

"Haru-san!" Michiyo shouted, concerned. "It's okay, Michiyo. I won't let him hurt you. Get away, now! He wants to kill you!" Haru warned. Michiyo hesitated, but after seeing Haru's serious face, she obeyed and ran away.

The man scratched his head. "Ah, you're such a headache. Well, I guess it's half my fault for revealing plan to you"

"What did you do to the driver?" Haru asked. "Nothing. He's my accomplice now. He gave me this car for money. Foolish. So easily blinded by just a few thousand yen when he can get more from the Suzukis" the man laughed.

"Still, I had no idea you guys are dating. It seems like things are getting serious quicker than I imagined" he spoke. Haru gritted his teeth. "There's nothing going on between us! Stop making assumptions! In the end, I'll kill her anyway" Haru argued. "Then, why won't you let me kill her? It'll be easier for you then" the man suggested.

"I have further plans. It's none of your business. It's not like you don't know anyway" Haru scoffed. "Okay, I've had enough just talking like this. How about we settle this the classic way?" The man said, before suddenly dashing towards Haru, pointing his knife at him.

Haru dodged just in time before kicking him to the floor. The man didn't give up. He continued to make several quick strikes before managing to stab Haru's left abdomen. Haru fell to the ground, clutching his wound in pain.

"Hahahaha! Okay, that was fun. Ill leave you here. You'll die of blood lost anyway, so... See you never!" The man laughed before entering his car and driving away.

Haru just layed flat to the   ground, motionless. "This is the first time I actually lost in a fight" he chuckled. "That guy surely isn't someone to underestimate"

"Haru-san, are you okay?!" Michiyo called. She sounded like she was crying. "I saw how he stabbed you! You should go to the hospital!" She suggested. "Did... You here our conversation..?" That was the first thing that came to Haru's mind when he saw Michiyo. If she heard them, then his whole plan of earning her trust will come crashing down.

"No, no! I was too far away! That's not important anyway! Let's get some help!" Michiyo panicked. She tried shouting for help, but with the current time almost reaching midnight, there were barely anyone around the area.

Meanwhile, Haru felt the pain stinging even worse. He was too weak to stand. The man had wounded his legs as well. He felt dizzy. "I'm loosing a lot of blood.... Is this the end?" He thought, as his vision started fading away, until he lost consciousness completely.

"No! Haru-san!!"

                             ❖