Chapter X

"*Sob... Sob*..... Mom, please.. Come back.."

Haru turned to the source of the voice. He realises he's in a weird, grey coloured space. A little girl was in front of a coffin, dressed in black, sobbing quietly.

"Mi-Michiyo....?" He recognises the hair colour of the girl, and immediately thought of Michiyo. The girl paused. She turned around, but just as Haru was about to see her face, his vision of the scene disappeared.

Haru woke up from the dream. He was clueless and restless. "Wha-what was that..? That's Michiyo, right..?" He muttered.

He looked around. The surroundings are unfamiliar. He was in a spacious, modern room, on a queen sized bed. He scratched his head. Suddenly, he felt a stinging pain on his abdomen. He flipped his shirt, only to be surprised by a bandage wrapping a huge part of his stomach.

"No... I don't think he's awake yet.... Should I check?" A voice spoke from outside the room. The door creaked open, and Michiyo peeked through the opening. Her eyes widened as she saw Haru sitting up right on the bed.

"Haru-san!!!" She exclaimed joyfully. She ran towards him and hugged him tightly. "Ouch! Ouch! It hurts!" Haru shouted. Michiyo's tight hug had caused his wound to sting.

Michiyo quickly released him and backed away. "I-Im sorry, I was too happy to see you okay? I thought you had died... Because of me..." She stammered, guilty tears started falling to her cheeks.

Haru stroked her head gently. "It's okay, I'm all alive and well. Where am I right now?" He asked calmly. "Yesterday, after you blacked out, my parents just so happened to be driving nearby on their way home. So they allowed me to bring you here. You're in the guest room of my family's house" Michiyo told.

"In their house...? Does that mean...?" Haru thought, as he quietly carved a sinister smile on his face. "It seems like that guy just made my mission easier" his heart whispered.

"B-but we didn't manage to chase down the culprit. When we reached his car, he had already left and went away. The police are on the hunt. I shall make sure he gets what he deserves for hurting you" Michiyo spoke.

"I hate him. I hate assassins. I hate murderers. I hate criminals. I once lost my birth mother to an assassin, I thought I'd lose a friend too" she sobbed.

Those words shot Haru like a bullet. He tried to shake away his guilty thoughts.

                             ❖

Haru stayed at the Suzukis' mansion for a few hours, before deciding that he should go home. His wounds are a lot less serious than he thought, so he wanted to go home and treat it himself.

Suddenly, the door creaked open again. This time, it wasn't Michiyo. A woman walked in. She looks very different from Michiyo, so Haru thought he might be her step mother. She couldn't have been a maid judging by how she dressed.

The woman sat down on a chair close to Haru

The woman sat down on a chair close to Haru. Haru, on the other hand, just stood quietly.

"Momose Haru, right?" The woman asked. Haru nodded. "I heard you are Michiyo's friend. I'm her step mother. I'm very glad that Michiyo found a friend like you, she haven't had one in years. All because of her trust issues... I'm surprised she trusts you" Mrs. Suzuki spoke.

Haru twitched. "What does she mean? I can't be trusted?" He thought. Mrs. Suzuki cleared her throat.

"Michiyo had told me about how you protected her yesterday. I was quiet impressed. So, I have a proposal for you" she smiled.

Haru's curiosity was triggered he listened closer. "I want you to help protect Michiyo. She does have bodyguards, but you can protect her from closer. If it's not a trouble for you, of course" Mrs. Suzuki proposed.

Haru thought for a while. This will benefit him a lot for this mission. Plus, he doesn't have his knife with him, and he doesn't want to ask where the kitchen is, just incase he seemed suspicious.

"I accept. I don't mind, she's my friend anyway" Haru answered. Mrs. Suzuki smiled brightly. "Thank you, young man. Since Michiyo places a great deal of trust in you, then so do I" she sighed, relieved.

Haru laughed once she leaves the room. "You guys made a great mistake. I'm going to-"

His words were cut mid-sentence. He immediately thought of Michiyo's words earlier. The guilt rush overwhelmed him.

"No, no. You're not going to be like this, Haru. Focus on the mission" he whispered.

                            ❖