Home at last Ren

Draining the tea leaves, Jinhua started filling the kettle with hot water

Draining the tea leaves, Jinhua started filling the kettle with hot water. Her mind drifting as she continued the process.

Behind her, sitting on the counter, was Macaque who watched with a dazed look. He leaned into the palm of his hand as he continued to stare.

"How long have you been... You know."

Macaque golden gaze flickered over to the swaying red ribbon and silently dancing bells that hung from her neck, "For a few decades..."

"And Ren...?"

Macaque glanced down at his hands that circled the marble counter, "I found him crying in an alleyway, a couple of months back."

Jinhua stopped her actions and slowly turned to her partner, "Crying...?"

"Dunno what happened to the kid, but he seemed upset about something. I couldn't leave him there so I took him with me..." He let out a sigh.

"And I thought I was the demon that was weird for picking up random kids from the streets...." Jinhua chuckled lightly as she started to dry the tea leaves.

Macaque let out a irritated groan as a reply, "I got attached real quick too....!"

"That's not a bad thing, Macaque." Jinhua rolled her eyes, washing her hands in the sink.

"I never said it was a bad thing..." Macaque looked off to the side, in the direction of Jinhua's room where the child, Ren, rested, "He just reminded me of someone...."

Jinhua was quick to notice his softened expression, a small smile rose on her lips, "I'm sure he did."

"And you?"

"Hm?" Jinhua poured herself a cup of tea, "What about me...?"

"How long have you been unsealed?"

Jinhua hand stilled at the question, she stool a moment answer since she saw no reason to lie to the simian, "About 5 months... In the beginning it was rough, but MK was the first person that I met and now that he's training under that..." She trailed off at the utter thought of Wukong.

The sudden feeling of arms wrapping around her waist, made the demoness jolt in surprise, but the easing purr coming behind her made her stiff body relax.

Macaque rested his head on the back of her shoulder blades, "I've searched and searched for an answer to get you back. And I did... Though it wasn't easy, that's for sure.." He chuckled softly.

"What do you mean by that...?" Jinhua leaned back in his hold, her body urging her to sink deeper into his warmth.

"I begged your mother..."

At that Jinhua's eyes widened, "You went to the Heavenly Realm..?"

Macaque let out a sigh and brought her hand close to his lips, peppering trails of light kisses on her knuckles and fingertips, "You were right.. The Great Heavens is no place for a demon.. But for you, I endured."