Chapter 35

She didn't hear anything for the next few minutes. Not the hundred times people were calling her name , asking her to stop. Not the times when people cursed her while she squeezed past the crowd ,descending down the stairs in panic. All she wanted was to make sure he was okay.

She pushed open the door from the stairwell with all her might and stepped inside the office room.
She stopped. She froze again seeing the least unexpected. A perfectly full office room with not even a single chair unseated. Each of them drowned in their work. She gulped. The sound of the blaring alarm still making her shift in her place and all these people were glued to their seats as usual.
She was puzzled all along till the door behind her slighty opened and somebody caught hold of her arm, pulling her into the stairwell again.

In a second, her eyes met his. And she felt like her breath was restored. She assessed him from head to toe, anticipating some sort of burns or injuries. He seemed fine. Very fine indeed.

"Are you alright?? You look worried..", He asked, his hand still wrapped around her arm.

"There... was an alarm.. Fire on the seventh floor...", She was fumbling under his gaze.

"False alarm... One of them burnt up his ex-girlfriend's photograph in front of the smoke detector. The alarm went off. Which is why everyone's fine here and the others, panicked obviously..", He says, looking straight into her eyes.

She sighed in major relief.
False alarm.
But what she felt till two minutes ago was different and horrifying. And at this very moment, there was no room for anything else in her mind. She wrapped her hands around him, embracing him in a hug. He smiled in relief, as he tightened the hug and kissed her hair. She unknowingly closed her eyes, wondering how she had no idea how much she missed this.

She cupped his jaw with both of her dainty hands and looked straight into his eyes.
"Don't you ever freaking die.. Or put yourself in any situation wherein you are even any close to causing harm to yourself "

Her words made him smile widely. Much more widely than he has ever smiled in a while.
"Did you hear that?", She asks again. The unchanged expression in her face indicates that she is very much serious.

"Yes..Madam. I am not allowed to die.". He says, before he laughs a little. She loosens up as well seeing him smile.
Damn..
This man's laughter was a cure for everything. She felt a very peculiar warmth in her chest again. Which only he was capable of producing.

"Diya..", He says, holding her hand tightly.
His next move was something she had anticipated. He opened his mouth to apologize yet again. She put her forefinger on his lips to shut him up.

"You can quit apologizing.. Jai. I am not mad at you anymore...", She smiles at him again.

He takes her finger off his lips before saying, " I was stupid... I should trusted you more than anyone else.."

"It's alright.. I would have done the same if I was...",

"No.. You would have trusted me and not paid heed to anything else..", He said.

She wrapped her arms around his neck, like she always used to do. He followed her cue, holding her in between his arms around her waist, as usual. She smiled shyly. Her face looked much more radiant.
"Doesn't matter what I would have done or what you should have done.. All we have is now.. All I know is that you are the most amazing and loving man I have ever come across.. You make each moment better and every moment without you is dreadful.. I was shit scared when I thought something would have happened to you right now ..And I cannot imagine being not with you from now on.. So Shut up and Kiss me right now..", She says with the most mischievous smile on her lips.

He raises his eyebrows in surprise and delightfully joined his lips with hers. This kiss was liberating. Their bodies felt at ease all of a sudden. Like a rock has been lifted off his chest, he felt peaceful with her , in his arms.

"As much as I would love to have you stay here for long.. I think you need to get back to work, considering that it was a false alarm and everyone would be back to their places already..", He said, brushing off the small baby hairs on her forehead.

"Ohh.. yes.", She says, sighing.

"Bye then..", He says, releasing her from between his arms.

"Bye..", She said, before turning around to leave.
He catch hold of her arm again to spin her back to him just in time, to plant another kiss on her forehead
"I have missed you so much...", He says, his eyes conveying the same thing in a much deeper way.

"I missed you too.. Jayanti Mehra.", She says, making him roll his eyes.

"I hate Zafar now.."

"Don't... He is so freaking wonderful..", She laughs as she walks downstairs, leaving him puzzled slightly although he did think Zafar was wonderful.

——————————————————-
She got off her scooty and skipped around in excitement. She laughed lightly as she walked into her house. Happy and content.

"What is going on?", Deepak asked, seeing his sister's weird antics.

"The fire alarm in our office went off...", She said, smiling like anything.

"What?? Are you alright? Did someone get hurt?", He followed up with numerous concerning questions to which she paid no heed.

She climbed the stairs in amusement, skipping two steps at a time. Even the normal stairs of her house looked better to her today.

"Stop...", Deepak said loudly.
She turned around to face him, confused by his tone.

"Are you still dating him?", He asked, his voice filled with genuine concern.

"What?", She was stunned.

"Are you still dating him? Jai Mehra, chief marketing officer. Owns 16% equity in that company, which is probably around millions or even billions in future. Been around since the starting and then roped in his two best friends to take up major roles there. His love life is a mystery and he is 34. He has a sister.....",
Deepak was spilling facts like anything. He could write up an entire essay of 500 words about this man. About things she had no idea about.

"STOP..", She had to cut him off before he carried on and on about this.

"How do you know all this?", She asked, descending down the stairs quickly.

"He is a pretty known figure..Not that difficult to gather up information about a guy like this.. You should have thought twice before introducing him as your driver that day..", Deepak said.

"What do you think you are doing?", She asked.

"Looking out for you... But you didn't answer my question. Are you still dating him? Is this a real relationship?", He asks, without flinching.

"Yes.. I am. But please.. stop stalking him online and reading up about him. He is a really good guy and I know how to look out for myself...", She says , sternly.

"You were a mess for the past few weeks and you are telling me you believe this guy? This guy who almost got you fired?", Deepak fired back.

"That was a mistake. He would never try to hurt me. You don't know him at all.. So stop assuming anything.", She said, before slamming the door in his face.

————————————————————

How was the chapter? 🤓

Don't forget to vote and comment on the chapters..
thank you for reading this story.
Hope you have a wonderful day.