Chapter 18

"Hey...", Aditi sat down next to her at the breakfast table.

"Hi..", she replied, smiling.

"You look happy...", Aditi laughed.

"So..?", she raised her eyebrows.

"I was just saying that you look a bit different. Your face is beaming, Diya..", Aditi smiled at her.

"Ohh...", she smiled back in 10x volts, knowing the reason behind it.

"I really like you.. You seem like the perfect girl.", Aditi said, biting into the bread.

Diya looked at her, puzzled.

"But.. just not the right girl for Jai..", Aditi said, throwing her off.

"He doesn't even date.. Forget marriage!
I kissed him during a college fest and that started everything. Well.. it was just from my part I guess. He never loved me..
So.. as a girl to girl advice, it's better to just back off before you get your heart broken..."

She felt a twinge in her heart. It hit her much harder than she thought it would.

"I can see that you really like him... But it just doesn't....", Aditi stopped as she saw Jai walking towards them.

Diya buried her fork inside the bread aimlessly. She didn't want to look up.
The fork voyaged through the entire piece breaking it apart.

"Hey.. I am so sorry. I have a meeting with Mr.Jindal today. He is in Goa right now....", Jai said.

"It's okay.. I can go by myself..", She interrupted him. He sensed the discomfort in her demeanor.

Aditi observed their exchange discreetly while drinking her juice.

"Are you alright?", He asked, observing her face.

"Yes..", She replied, without meeting his eyes.

He wondered what was wrong. Was it because of what happened yesterday?

"You guys, carry on.. I have a work to do..", Jai said, before leaving.

She looked at him as he walked away.
Almost piercing his back. She hated it.
This wasn't supposed to happen.
She filled her mouth with the piece of bread that she just disfigured.

"Bye.. Aditi.", She got up from her chair.

"This early??", Aditi asked.

"Yes.. I have packing to do..", Diya said, before going upstairs.

She laid down on the bed, staring at the ceiling. It was too complicated. She looked at the patterns on the ceiling. Complicated patterns. She wasn't a teenager anymore. She had to be an adult about this.
These 'feelings' brimming inside of her.

____________________________________________

"Where are you??", Jai asked, anxiously looking around her room.

"At the airport..", She replied.
He sighed, holding his phone tightly.

"You should have waited for me..", He sat down on the bed, which was previously occupied by her.

"Thought you would be busy..", She said.

Something poked his rump, making him dart out of his seat. He picked it up instantly, examining the piece. Her glossy, emerald green dangling earrings. The very same one that accompanied her white saree.

"You there?"

"Yes..."

"Bye.. boarding started..", Diya said, switching off her phone.

He buried her earring inside his pocket, before closing the door to the room.

She passed through the boarding gates.
She was greeted by the cabin crew as she walked into the airplane. It was then that she noticed.
Her seat was elsewhere. She had a business class ticket in hand.
The airhostess guided her to her window seat with more legspace, wider seat, free food to choose from and access to the bathroom without a queue.

She picked out her phone to call him.
"Please switch off your phones..", the airhostess said, specifically looking at her.

She nodded, keeping her phone inside her bag. Looking out of the window, she instantly felt it.
This plane ride was not going to be the same without him. Even with this stupid ticket he got her, because of what she told him the last time.
He was the grumpy old man. Always on time.
Always well informed and articulate. Immensely immersed in his work.
Why does she miss him this badly?

The food tasted good.
But he wasn't there with his intellectual jokes. She smiled on remembering his Australopethicus one.

Patterns of clouds emerging as she looked out of the window, leaving little room to see the sky. The blue sky..
His favourite colour.
NO, he dislikes sky blue!
Prussian blue, Indigo, Egyptian blue, Royal blue, Navy blue...
How can she forget?..

She dozed off after a while. She dreamt of her house getting robbed by dinosaurs at midnight and Jai arriving as the police to arrest them.

"Ma'am.. The flight has landed."

She stared hard into the air hostess's face. She was not the dinosaur.
She mumbled a thank you and smiled graciously before getting off quickly.

She was greeted by her mother's chicken biryani at home.
Distance makes the heart grow fonder.
Who ever said that knew the value of this food. Maa ke haath ka khana...

______________________________________

Hey.

Hope you all are doing well.

How was the chapter??

Dont forget to vote and comment down something. ⭐

Have a wonderful day!!!
Hope your life's not like mine. Whenever I have a great day, the universe decides to drown me in sadness the next day. 🥲

For the 10th and 12th graders, ALL THE VERY BEST FOR THE ONGOING BOARDS!.
Ace your exams..  You got this! 💖

6/05/2022Read count: 2

6/05/2022
Read count: 2.61K