The page is decorated with little drawings of flowers, plants and music notes.

I flip to another page with another poem.

I try to still look with wonder on the world
As the roses bloom
And the riot van, still plainly in view

I had written this one after I'd come back from a run into town. I found it fascinating to see the natural world seemingly thriving in our absence.

Even though rotting corpses were everywhere and I was alone, flowers still bloomed, plants still grew and animals, that were fast enough to avoid the undead, roamed the streets.

So many human lives had ended but life itself still carries on without us.

I flip through my pages, until I reach my Willow sketches again. As I look at the pages, I hear faint tunes outside the tent, from nearby birds. More words come to me and I flip to a clean page.

I grab a pencil and inscribe the words to my paper.

Worn out and tired, my heart near retired
And the world bent double from weeping
And yet the birds begin to sing

I may be miserable, the world as we knew it may be falling apart, but the birds continue to chirp and whistle and soar in the sky. The earth didn't need us.

I decorate the page with birds, clouds and leaves, my eyelids growing heavier with each little addition.

~

My eyes snap open, images of bloody bodies slowly disappearing as I look around Shane's tent.

I lift my head off the corner of my journal and slowly sit up. I stretch life back into my limbs after my unexpected nap and go peek outside.

The sun has reached golden hour.

I go grab the towel I used yesterday from the clothes line and make my way down to the quarry for a dip.

I pass Jacqui on my way down and we exchange pleasantries. When I reach the water, Andrea and Amy are bathing. They both smile and wave to me and I do the same in return.

I make my way out onto the rocks again, leaving my things in a pile and bathe, same as yesterday.

The sisters, now bathed and dried, make they're way back to camp as I dry myself.

With night time approaching, I opt for Shane's sweat pants again instead of my denim shorts. There was already a chill in the air this evening.

Once dried and dressed, I pack up my things and head back to camp, hanging the towel back on the line.

I look up at the RV to Shane, who's looking like king of the castle, looking out over the trees.

I stare at him, taking him in for a moment before finally pulling my eyes away. I notice Andrea watching me. I quickly look away from her and walk over to Jacqui, who's sitting with Jim.

I sit with them and we all make conversation as the sun begins it's descent below the horizon.

Merle wanders through camp and I can feel the tension and disapproval fall over everybody.

He makes some snide comments to Andrea and Amy but Andrea retorts and turns Amy away from him.

Merle looks in our direction next, looking at Jacqui, then at me. He looks up at Shane and a smirk forms on his face.

Shane looks down at him and even from here, I can see his jaw tense.

I shoot Merle a scowl as he steps toward us. I know I should just ignore him but my loathing is strong.