1

I've known him forever it seems. Back in high school he was the 'man of my dreams.' And nothing much has changed.

Dexter Carter, or Dex as he is known, is perhaps the smartest guy I've ever met. He was the high school's captain of the Battle of the Brains team and class valedictorian. He was intellectually superior and knew it. Dex wore the mantle of "nerd" proudly.

He wasn't the type of nerd that you see with hiked up pants and pencil protector. But he was socially rejected, obsessively studious, unpolished, and very nearsighted.

But even with the glasses and unfashionable clothing, you could tell he was handsome and well-built.

See, Dex didn't play sports but he worked out almost as obsessively as he studied. He claimed the serotonin helped with his ability to learn. I'm pretty sure he was in the weight room more than the football team, and running the track more than the track and field team.

But as I said, he was a social reject. He didn't party or hang out with people our own age - unless you count academic clubs - which I don't.  It was almost as if he was nonexistent. But I noticed him and not for his looks or body.

I'm not sure when I realized that I was fiercely attracted to intelligence. I think it built up over time.

The "hot" guys at school always turned me off after speaking to them for any amount of time. But listening to a scholastic lecture, engaging in an intellectual conversation or seeing the the fruit of any intellectual pursuit, made me hot and bothered.

I wouldn't say I'm a genius myself, but I can hold my own. The times I spoke to Dex, despite being flustered, I was able to follow along and keep up. And although I constantly tried to speak to him or watch him participate the Battle of the Brains, he completely blew me off.

Why, you ask. Well, Dex thought I was some sort of snob or popular girl. Not sure which. But he didn't like me at all.

In high school, I was on the school dance team and was well known. Many people called me attractive or nominated me for the various courts - like prom and homecoming - but I never considered myself popular. Yet perception is reality, right?

So in high school when I attempted to flirt with Dex, he acted like my presence annoyed him.  Or perhaps he didn't recognize the flirting, and I truly annoyed him. Who knows, but either way he wasn't interested.

We ended up at the same semi-local college. Semi-local because it was less than a hour from home. Rumor had it that his family couldn't afford a prestigious school, and with a full scholarship he couldn't say no to our university.

Over the last few years we have rarely seen one another. Don't get me wrong - I tried. I would go out of my way to see or talk to him. But he would rarely speak to me. He definitely didn't seek me out.

It was frustrating to say the least. Especially since I didn't understand why he wouldn't want my friendship. At least I didn't until our junior year.

One of the other girls from our high school, Delores, also went to our college. She would often see me in the dinning hall and we would gossip about home.

"Have you heard about Dexter Carter, Reenie?" My name is Irene, but somehow all the folks from home call me Reenie. Do I love it? No. In fact, I loathe it.

And hold on, my Dexter Carter?

"No, what about him?" I asked nonchalantly, taking another bite of something void of flavor.

"Well, you likely don't remember much about him," nope, I remember everything, "but he was a total loser back home. Anyway, word is that Dexter should be called Sex-ter, because he is making his way through all the co-eds."