CHAPTER 16: A Day Off

KANE

Waking up this morning felt good. I have never had a moment like this where first, I had a woman wake up next to me and second, I'm not someone who likes cuddling.

Then again, I have never wanted to but with her I am willing to make an exception.

When I opened my eyes this morning and saw her still asleep facing me, I gently brushed away some hair that had fallen on her face and brushed it aside.

She started to slowly open her eyes a little and the moment she saw me we both smiled at each other.

I then found myself lean in closer while touching the side of her face and gently press my lips onto hers.

In the back of my head I thought maybe this was wrong because she had just been attacked last night and telling by the bruises on her face and near her mouth, I wasn't sure it would be appropriate or the best timing, but she didn't push me away and instead placed her hand onto the side of my face as we shared a long and passionate kiss.

Before looking at one another again.

"Good morning beautiful." I softly tell her.

"Good morning." She smiles in reply.

"How do you feel?" I ask.

"I'm still a little sore but I feel better than I know I could be." She replies with a smile.

I knew what she truly meant as she said that.

"I'm so sorry." I begin to apologize.

"It wasn't your fault. And besides, you saved me." She says.

"Yes but if I hadn't said what I did to you and called you...you know, then maybe I could have at least gone with you to meet with him." I began rambling a bit.

"It's okay. I'm okay. Everything will be alright." She tried reassuring me. "And just as you told me last night in that I shouldn't blame myself, you shouldn't either."

My god, why am I having to sound like a damn pathetic person.

Growing up I was always taught that being weak was to let someone close to you because then you are an even bigger target to others and it can also cause a lot of trouble. I almost felt as if it was wrong to love.

Then yet, here she is changing my twenty five years of thinking. Could this be real? Can she truly be real?

I return back to the moment and out of my thoughts as soon as I hear her say my name. And my god do I love the way she says it.

"Uh, I'm hungry." She says.

"Me too." I tell her. I give her another gentle quick kiss on the lips before getting up. "What sounds good? I can either make us something or grab us something to eat?"

"How about we go out to breakfast, my treat!" She smiles while getting up.

"No offense, but I am not having you go anywhere for a few reasons and one of the main reasons is because I don't want anyone to think I have beaten you." I remark.

"Since when do you care what other people think?" She asks with a smirk and cocked eyebrow.

"I don't. Except for when it comes to things like hurting my girl." I say before realizing what I had just said.

"And who says I want to be your girl?" She asks while walking up to me with her arms over her chest.

I just smile at her and pull her close to me softly. Thankfully she didn't wince as I need to remind myself she is fragile physically to the touch.

"You don't have to. Last night said it all as well as the kiss this morning." I tell her.

"SOMEBODY is conceited." She teases.

"So much for not falling for my charm." I tell her sarcastically, reminding her of what she said to me.

She smiles a little bit before we leaned in and kissed before heading downstairs to have breakfast.

Though as soon as I began making breakfast, the jokes kept coming.

"Never thought Kane aka Knives would be one who knew how to cook." She teased a little.

"Better not tell anyone." I winked.

"How did you get your nickname by the way?" She asks.

"From the time I was six years old, I had found knives and daggers to be interesting choices of weapons. In the movies they looked real cool. Then for my twelfth birthday, a family member of mine bought me a collection of knives and daggers that used to belong to a few ex-mobsters and some were from medieval times even. So between the movies I watched when I was little along with me learning how to use them, I eventually got the nickname." I explained.

"I know, it's nothing cool or sentimental really, but that's how I got it." I finished telling her.

Right as I finished telling her, I had finished making breakfast at the same time.

We sat there for the next almost hour, talking and having a really good breakfast with one another before we heard the front door open and in walked Markus, Leila and a few of the guys.

"Hey you guys! It's about time your lazy asses woke up!" One of my guys says.

Shit. What time was it? I looked at the clockm hanging up above the stove and saw it was almost eleven. Wow, I have never slept in as late before. Not since I was sa kid at least.

I don't mind it though. Nice to catch up some sleep I have missed out on for years especially when I have Harlie being that reason as to why.

I swear I could stay in bed forever with her. As long as she is near me, I don't care.

We ended up spending the rest of the day putting aside doing any business and waiting until tomorrow to go back to reality. For now, we all were going to enjoy ourselves.

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)