Chapter 17: You and What Army? Us and Dumbledore's Army.

"Umbridge has been reading your mail, Harry. There's no other explanation." Hermione said.

"You think Umbridge attacked Hedwig, like she did to Athena?" Harry asked outraged.

"That bitch!" I sneered.

"I'm almost certain of it." Hermione answered grimly. "Watch your frog, it's escaping." 

Harry pointed his wand at the bullfrog that had been hopping hopefully towards the other side of the table. "Accio!" And it zoomed back to his hand.

When it came to Charms, it was always the best lesson in which to enjoy a private chat; there was generally so much movement and activity that the danger of being overheard was very slight. Today, with the room full of croaking bullfrogs and cawing ravens, and with a heavy downpour of rain clattering and pounding against the classroom windows, our whispered discussion about how the Toad Wart had nearly caught Sirius went very unnoticed. 

"I've been suspecting this ever since Filch accused you of ordering Dungbombs, because it seemed such a stupid lie." Hermione whispered. "I mean, once your letter had been read it would have been quite clear you weren't ordering them, so you wouldn't have been in trouble at all- it's a bit of a feeble joke, isn't it? But then I thought, what if somebody just wanted to excuse to read your mail? Well then, it would be a perfect way for Umbridge to manage it- tip off Filch, let him do the dirty work and confiscate the letter, then either find a way of stealing it from him or else demand to see it- I don't think Filch would object, when's he ever stuck up for a students rights? Harry, you're squashing your frog." 

Harry looked down to see that he was squeezing his bullfrog like a pimple. The Frog's eyes were popping. He replaced it hastily on the desk. 

"That was way too close, last night." I said. "Silencio." The Frog I was using the Silencing Charm was stuck dumb mid croak.

"I just wonder if Umbridge knows how close it was. Silencio." Hermione said using the Charm on her frog.

"If she'd caught Snuffles-" 

Harry finished the sentence for her. "-He'd probably be back in Azkaban this morning." He waved his hand without really concentrating; his bullfrog swelled like a green balloon and emitted a high pitched whistle. 

"Silencio!" I quickly pointed my wand at Harry's frog, which deflated silently before us. "Now what are we going to do? I don't think he can risk the Floo Network again. And we can't send him an Owl." I asked. 

"You're not wrong, Kassie." Ron agreed. "I don't reckon he'll risk it again. He's not stupid, he knows she nearly got him. Silencio." 

The large and ugly raven in front of Ron let out a derisive caw.

"Silencio. SILENCIO!" 

The raven cawed more loudly. 

"It's the way you're moving your wand." Anubis said. "It has a sharp jab." 

"Ravens are harder than frogs." Ron said through clenched teeth. 

"Silencio." Ryan did his charm in no time flat. And to a Raven.

"Very good, Mr. Tyler." Flitwick praised, making us all jump. 

"You think Ravens are harder than Frogs?" Anubis asked. "Oh, you were clearly not there for the Second Plague."  

"You mean the one where Frogs got everywhere?" Hermione asked.

"Yep." Anubis answered. "Funny story about that... you see what happened was-" 

"Now, let me see you try, Mr. Weasley." Flitwick insisted before Anubis could expand on the subject.

"Wha-? Oh- oh right." Ron said, very flustered. "Er- Silencio."