Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion & Joffrey Lannister, Ramsay B. (PS - "A Fool's Mistake 3")

Start from the beginning

From his pocket came the glint of a knife, prompting the mercenary to squirm against the ropes and expel a whimper.

Ramsay twirled the weapon in his right hand and conveyed a taste of future pain with unrepentant eye contact. "Just before you tried to kill them."

Before the tip of the steel could blind the mercenary, the harsh voice of Roose Bolton echoed in the dining hall and overpowered any wails spilling out of the mercenary. "Ramsay!"

The sound was little more than a growl, and Ramsay paused with his knife hovering just in front of the mercenary's eyeball.

The violent shake gripping his arm did not cease, spreading to his lips and upper body as he stared into the mercenary's terror with bubbling insanity that flailed against the bridle he was compelled to put on it. Ramsay vented slivers of his untapped rage through the tremulous breaths whipping past his bared teeth.

While the soldiers beside him kept a tight hold on their swords, Roose did not allow his voice to waver. "We need this one alive."

The blade was so close that the mercenary's eyelashes brushed it every time he blinked.

It quivered with the threat of twitching too far and impaling his skull before he could release a full scream, but Ramsay seemed to find enough delight in his father's command that he turned his head away. "Oh, he'll live."

Just as the knife reeled back and then plunged forward, a booming announcement sounded from Roose. "We're going on a diplomatic mission to White Harbor."

Ramsay listened to his father with a distracted mind plagued by runaway thoughts and bits of emotion he could not manage, his eyes flitting between Roose and the nearest objects while his fingers twitched with ideas of what pain to inflict on the captured mercenary. "When will you return?"

Roose looked upon his struggle with amusement and indifference. "You should know. You're coming with me."

As if Roose had revoked his legitimacy as the heir, Ramsay raised his head and widened his eyes. The tension clenching his shoulders and jaw shifted to confused glances, and his lips moved to search for the appropriate response that changed with each surge of dissatisfaction and the sense of a goal stepping out of his reach.

"My place is here. I have rallied the men."

Roose began to approach the main entrance to the fortress and did not slow his stride. "Your place is where I say it is."

Ramsay stopped walking, but Roose ignored the vicious stare drilling into the back of his head. "Father," murmured Ramsay, and his next words were spoken through gritted teeth. "I need to find them."

Roose took a final, definitive step forward and turned, the bottom of his cloak gliding across the floor. "There will be a time for that. Right now, what you need to do is mount a horse and ride with me to White Harbor."

* * *

The chambers of Tyrion Lannister stank of wine on most nights, but the scent was especially potent on this night. An empty flagon sat at the foot of a luxurious chair, which Tyrion used to rest his legs while he put his mouth to the work of downing every glass he could fill.

With his knuckles pressed underneath his chin, Tyrion observed the half-full goblet with a curious glint in his eye. He laid his hand over the top of it and waited in silence for many a second.