Chapter 16 - The Cure

Começar do início

“I can’t imagine how devastating that was for you,” I said. “But that wasn’t him, it was the curse. It changes him. It’s killing him, and he hates it as much as you do.”

“The curse is him, and he is a monster,” she said, resolutely. “Now come with me before he kills us too.” I saw the pain in her eyes caused from her brother’s death. I knew it was futile to try to convince her to let Olian go.

I dropped my arms from our embrace, except my hand was still holding his. He squeezed once, as if to say goodbye. I knew he was worried that Kye convinced me of his monstrosity. Before I let go of his hand, I leaned towards him and whispered. “I believe in you, and I will get you out.” I looked into his sad, dark eyes, and he nodded almost imperceptibly. And then I left the room.

The infirmary was cold. I saw Zee, still asleep, on one of the cots. Robbie wasn’t there. The two guards were stationed outside the doors. I watched as Kye locked Olian’s door. When I heard the last tumbler click shut in the lock, something snapped inside my head. “The way you treat him makes the curse worse, you know,” I said bitterly to Kye’s turned back.

“He doesn’t deserve anything better,” she said.

“Maybe your brother wouldn’t have died if you treated Olian better.” My voice began rising in volume.

“Are you saying it’s our fault my brother died?” Kye asked.

“Yes! I think he could be cured if someone just gave him some the love he craves,” I said. “I believe everyone has the potential for evil, his is just closer to the surface for some reason.”

Kye shook her head. “I’m sorry, Electra. The panel and the King have made the verdict that Olian must stay locked up until he dies. And I agree.”

“It would’ve been more humane to have killed him when he was a baby,” I mumbled.

“The King wouldn’t have allowed that. His rule is absolute,” she said.

“Of course it is,” I growled, stepping closer to her. “It’s like you’re stuck in this closed system of rules, and you never question any of them because that’s how they were always done. I’ve only been here for a few weeks and I’m already sick of it!” I said. “I travel through time and space to clean bedpans in a hospital? I need to get away from you before I go insane too, and hurt someone.”

I turned around, and was about to march out of the infirmary when I heard a strange noise. It was cross between a groan and a wail of pain. It was Zee. Turning towards his bed, I saw him open his eyes. He sat up and looked around the infirmary. It took him a while to register where he was and who was in the room, but when his gaze rested on me he spoke. “Electra? Where’s Lars? Is Robbie okay?” he asked.

I took a deep breath and tried to reign in my anger, as I walked over to Zee’s bed. “Lars ran away after he stabbed you in the back, and Robbie is fine. He’s just really worried about you.”

Zee nodded and leaned forward. His pale lips were chapped, and he winced when his hands felt the bandage on his back. Kye brought over a basin of water and a cup for him to drink from. “I’m so glad you’re awake, Zesius. You’ve been in a coma for about four days now. Your father will surely be pleased that you pulled through.”

“Ah, yes, thank you, Kye,” he said. He took a drink of water as I sat at the end of his bed. I bet Robbie will be upset that the moment he decides to leave Zee’s side, the elf wakes up.

Kye nodded, and refused to look at me. “You’re lucky that Lars didn’t damage your spine, but there was some ribs nicked.”

“Spare me the details, please,” he said, putting the cup down and rubbing his temples. “Kye, could you inform my father that I’m awake? And tell him that I’m taking over as Electra’s mentor, because it’s not working out here.”