Chapter 16 - The Cure

Start from the beginning

I smiled and turned fully towards him. “Then it looks like I’m your cure,” I said, trying to appear more confident than I felt.

Olian’s dark eyebrows rose and I swore I saw one side of his mouth twitch into a cocky grin. “How exactly do you purpose to cure me?” he asked.

My hand that was wrapped around his shoulders moved to the back of his head. My fingers finally got their wish to twine themselves in Olian’s long, black hair. I felt his light exhale of breath on my lips before I kissed him. His hands wrapped around my upper arms, and he pulled me as close to his body as possible. His lips were soft and fast. He was inexperienced, but that didn’t bother me. Slowly, I guided him with my lips. When I broke the kiss and opened my eyes, I saw that he still had his eyes closed.

Gradually, he opened his eyes and I saw my reflection in his glistening irises. I used to think his eyes were pure black, but, like his hair, they’re iridescent. I can see a rainbow of colours against a dark purple background. They’re unique and beautiful, like him.

“What was that?” he asked.

I smiled. “It was a kiss. Did you like it?”

“Yes. No one has ever done that to me before.” Still holding on to my shoulders, he refused to look away this time.

“Would you like me to do it again?” I asked, grinning.

He nodded, so I leaned forward and gave him a soft peck on his lips and then pulled away. Craving my touch, his lips followed mine. I turned my head to the side and kissed the hollow of his right cheek, and then his left. Then I kissed his forehead, and his nose and his eyelids. With every kiss his body seemed to melt into me.

I moved my head down and kissed his neck and his collarbones. And then my lips met with the mark over his heart. We were the same temperature this time. I placed my hands on his hips, and I felt him suck in a breath when I kissed the mark. When I raised my head, he opened his eyes.

“I will get you out of here,” I said, placing my hand over his heart. “I don’t just mean this room. I mean this curse.”

He nodded, and I saw that he trusted my word. We stayed in each other’s arms for a long while, not speaking. Then we both heard someone unlocking the chains on his door. “It’s probably Kye bringing my breakfast,” Olian said, and then he grinned mischievously. “You’re going to be in trouble.”

I shrugged. “It was worth it.”

Kye opened the door and walked into the room. She didn’t even look over at the bed until she had placed the food tray on the dresser and turned to leave. Her eyes widened. “Electra! What are you doing in here?”

“Visiting Olian,” I said.

“Why? How?” she asked, putting her hands on her hips.

“Because I like him. He’s not as bad as everyone says,” I replied, ignoring the latter question. “It’s cruel the way you keep him locked up here.” Olian tried to pull out of our embrace, but I kept my hold on him.

“Not as bad? Electra, he killed my brother!”

“You had him locked up before he even did that. Solitude messes with the mind.” I was trying so hard to not get worked up, because I really wanted her to understand.

Kye shook her head sadly. “He’s dangerous,” she said, speaking as if he wasn’t in the room. “I never did tell you exactly how he killed him, did I?”

I shook my head, even though I would rather not know. I felt Olian tense beside me.

“He dug his thumbs into my brother’s eye sockets so deep that he penetrated the brain.” She said it so fast I barely had time to process it, and then she continued. “When I came in the room blood was all over his hands and he was laughing.” She finally looked over at Olian. “Laughing,” she repeated again.