Chapter 32

The basilisk is curled on top of the so-called drop-off. The tail must either be on the other side or underneath it. I know now why we thought it was a rock, a huge boulder of some kind. Why it seemed like it had the same texture of the canyon. Its' scales are semi-transparent, blending into the environment. It takes the color and the illusion of texture that way. This characteristic has made it easier for it to hide in plain sight. Maybe that's why the band of nomads never saw it before. The basilisk's head lifts from its resting position, keeping its eyes trained on me. Its eyes are only on me! How can it see me if its blind? It doesn't really matter, Val. You can distract it while the others run. The boys will be able to make it.

"Stop!" Everyone stops whatever they're doing. "Draxum, Beau, use the advantage that you have and climb the wall behind you all the way up," I order while staring back at the basilisk, "The rest of you can make it up while I distract it." A sharp hiss escapes its mouth, followed by its long tongue. "Val, no," Rhydian protests. "You can't do this on your own." I pull out Inferno. "Protect Draxum, Rhydian!" I take off in a sprint in the opposite direction. Shouts of protest and alarm mingle as I get farther from them. I don't look back. The only way I know that the basilisk is chasing me is by the rumbling of the ground. I pump my legs to go faster as I search for anything that might give me an advantage.

Gods, there's obviously nothing here, Val! There's no alternative. I must fight it. I curve my running slightly to the right. The basilisk hisses again, once I know that its right behind me, I sharply turn to the left and drop my body down to skid on the scalding ground. I swing Inferno, aiming to pierce it but it dodges the blade and runs into the wall behind me.

How is it seeing me? My body fluidly launches itself into a low crouch. I need to see its eyes. There's something odd about this blind basilisk. I turn, intending to run back to the group, but its tail slams down in front of me with enough force to tremble the earth. It coils around me, trapping me between a canyon wall and the rest of its body. I quickly twist around with Inferno raised in defense. The basilisk's head bobs back in a hiss. Its fangs exposed and ready to strike, if need be. But it doesn't. It's not attacking. "Why aren't you attacking, you big snake?" My feet side-step to the right. It also moves its head to the right. I then take two more steps to the left. It does the same thing.

"What in gods' name are you doing?"

I drop Inferno. Bo said that it was blind. Vera also said that it went after Goosey. But why Goosey? Out of all of them, why would it go for the smallest member of the nomads? I step forward and the basilisk lowers its head down in response. Our eyes are leveled. We both are now unguarded and vulnerable. I'm slightly taken aback by the basilisk's eyes. They're... blue and somehow covered with giant semi-transparent scales like the rest of its body. One for each eye. An idea crosses my mind and I immediately sheathe Inferno. "Look," I begin, "I'm going to try to bring back your sight, but I need you to stay still. Do you understand me?" It lashes it's tongue out with a small hiss. "I'll take that as a yes, then." I unlatch Paxis off my thigh. Awkwardly, I steadily hover over the left eye. "Get ready, this might hurt." I don't wait for a reply this time. I dig Paxis along the edge causing the basilisk to thrash its tail. Ignoring it, I keep my focus solely on my task at hand. I begin to cut the other side all the way through.

Once I'm done, I carefully peel the scale off. Slime and dark blood oozes off it. "Disgusting," I snarl. The scale turns into a dry scab the minute it's completely off. I rub my thumb against the surface, only for it to disintegrate to dust through my fingers. I shake the rest off and turn my attention to the other eye. I'm quick this time and have it off in less than a minute. The scale turns to dust just like the first one. I inspect the eyes; in case I left pieces behind. The basilisk's eyes change before my very eyes to a dark blue. "Better?" It doesn't respond, instead it begins to try to lick their eyes. "I don't understand." It hisses and bares its fangs. I look down, beginning to feel frustrated by the lack of communication. Alright, Val, run back what you know. The basilisk was blind because of the scales over its eyes. For some unknown reason, it chased Goosey and me through the canyon. The basilisk is fit to live in this dry canyon. But the canyon wasn't always dry or a canyon. It was a river.