Prologue

Life has a funny way of unraveling. Fate, destiny, life. It's all the same to some. I never thought of it, atleast I didn't have to in this life. In my village, living just means surviving. Our isolated lives is completely surrounded by this entity we've began to call The Mist. The Mist has been swallowing our people for decades after a battle that completely destroyed the land. 

About 300 years ago, there was a force that fought off the darkness that brought on the Mist. They were successful for many years in fighting this invisible force. Generation after generation, this force passed their legacy and might to fight the evil that hid in the shadows. They were called the Knights of Aragon. Everything was peaceful and beautiful. The world was filled with hope. A hope that the Knights brought through their bravery.

But one day, the Mist suspiciously appeared in the North, much farther than it has ever been before. The Knights assured us that the Mist would not be a problem to the people and that everything would go as planned. Our peace wouldn't be disturbed. So, the people did not worry, and life continued as usual in the nine regions.

For weeks, the people held celebrations to bring luck and prosperity to the brave Knights. These weeks turned to months and months turned to years and the Knights of Aragon never came back as the Mist took over everything. The people held onto their hopes until it started luring people into the unknown. Many have tried to get their family members back but most never returned and those that did were never the same. Those never survived the weight of their own thoughts and ended their own lives.

After decades of not hearing from the Knights, the people began to lose hope in the Knights. Bad mouthing the lying cowards that left their subjects to fend for themselves. The people of Aragon split and moved while they had the chance, abandoning their homes while they still could before the Mist could destroy their homes.

Now, the world is broken. I've lived my whole life in this gray cage, never thinking about life outside of it. My people are used to the despair so much so that we believe it to be normal. We haven't seen a clear sky in the entirety of our lives. We don't even know what true happiness feels like anymore. Things like love and joy are seen as myths more than anything else.

So, yes, the world is broken and cursed. And it's all thanks to the damned Knights of Aragon.