Chapter 37

Ygraine and I run through the hallways like madwomen. All the castle servants and guards have gone mad with panic. The maids are fleeing, and the guards are clutching their swords, readying for a fight. The mass is in chaos, fear driving every individual. I shove and push with Ygraine. Her face shows a fear that I've never seen in her before. "What's happened?" I yelled at no one in particular. "What's going on?" I roughly grab someone at random. The servant shakes in fear, their eyes darting in and out of focus. "Aragon," the servant gasps. "Aragon has been breached. We are under attack!" The servant runs away after answering me. Under attack? Mordred has many enemies, but most of them are dead. Who could possibly have the gall to attack?

Screams of terror erupts somewhere outside. People are dying. "Come on, Princess," I grab her hand and pull her hard, "We've got to get to safety!" I brag her behind me as I run down the shallow halls. The inhabitants in the castle all realized the same thing as I did. They all begin to scramble out faster. I need to get Ygraine to safety. But where could I take her if the entire kingdom is in danger? The caravans! We must leave with them. I steer her away from the crowds using the servants' tunnels. "Wait," I hear Ygraine call behind me, but I don't stop. I cannot stop! We must leave. "Samsa, stop!" Ygraine yanks her hand off mine. "We cannot stop, Ygraine! Do you understand what's happening outside?" I reach for her again, but she shrugs me off. "You can't leave without the crown, Samsa! You've come so far," she touches my face, "Do not let this derail you from your mission. Instead, use this distraction for your benefit." I shake my head, no.

"I can't leave you to fend off on your own." Ygraine smiles at me, tender and friendly-just the way I met her. "I'll be just fine, I promise you." She grabs my hand and we run deeper into the castle. We pass by frenzied people-running opposite of us-and the brave faces of young soldiers. Slowly, the hallways empty and our running footsteps are the only sounds that echo from wall to wall. "There's a hidden door right behind Mordred's throne," she turns to me and pushes me, "Once you enter, you'll see drapes hanging from the ceiling. Go to them and sweep them aside, you'll see a knob with seven sides. Twist it around twice clockwise and once counterclockwise. A door will slide open. That's where the crown will be." I absentmindedly nod at her instructions. Ygraine clutches my hands together afraid to let go. I can sense the goodbyes but I'm not ready. "I'll do this," I begin, a feeling of foreboding rises the hairs on my neck, "but you must go to the caravan people. They have ways to protect you, if you only ask. Stay with them as long as you can. I'll find you." Tears swell in her eyes as do mine. She hugs me tightly, squeezing my shoulders.

"Don't be afraid to fight," she whispers into my ear. "Don't be afraid of your power. You can be afraid of anything else, but do not be afraid of who you are, Samsara." Ygraine pulls away. "Show him what real power looks like." She gives me one last smiles before running off to safety. I watch her go until she I can't any longer. May the gods protect her. Somehow, I feel like I won't see her again for the foreseeable future. I inhale and exhale deeply, calling to my magic. I feel the heat rolling down my neck, to my shoulders and spine. "Veni ad me, magicae laminae." The Fury inside me roars in pleasure as my blades pour into my hands. The blades mold and harden into their solid structure. Inferno like lava into rock and Paxis as water into ice. The stones wink at me as if letting me know that they're ready. I swing them around, marveling at their brilliance. I wonder if I'll ever match their confidence. At the thought, Inferno and Paxis gleams and ink drips down from their hilts, staining the blades into a light color. They both turn their metals from the dark grey to a brilliant white to math me.

They gave me the reassurance I needed to proceed. One step after another, I walk towards the back door. The door is inconspicuously hidden at the very end of an unused corridor. Lamps are scarce and the surfaces are untouched, dirty, unattended. This door is not out of the ordinary to the eye. One could get lost down here and not be tempted to open the door to see where it leads. Oddly enough, the door is slightly ajar. Someone's been through here already. Cautiously, I wedge open the door with Paxis, keeping Inferno steady in the air. Decorative curtains hang in front of the entrance in reds and golds. I push them aside as I make my way through. It's quiet, I think. Any echo of sounds is muffled and far away. No one is in here, as far as I could tell.