Chapter 17

The deafening roars of the dragons are full of anger. Pendragon's anger at the mention of this Merlin is frightening to see. Her turbulent rage creates a ripple affect unto the others. Trojan and Yulan snarl and snap at each other, having their own separate argument. Drogon, although very angry, is trying to calm the fire in Pendragon.

Pele has steered Pika and Pol into a far corner of the den, keeping them away from the unleashed violence of Pendragon. The boys and I are pressed against a wall, eyes wide at the chaos ensuing before us. "What is happening?" Draxum whispers in paralyzing fear. "I think I just unleashed the animals inside them," I whisper back.

Heat radiating off the dragons dries the wet dirt and worsens the humidity. "But why?" Rhydian asks, "What could this Merlin have done to create this reaction?" The story of the Cursebreakers clicks into the place because of Rhydian's question. The Cursebreakers were made by hellfire and powerful ancient magic. Merlin must've been the one to ask Alchetri for his power.

"That's definitely a story for another day," I tell them, "but for now, let's just hope that they don't kill us for muttering an enemy's name." Smoke curls out of Pendragon's nose, flaring angrily. All of them growl and snap their teeth at each other. "I think they're talking amongst themselves," Draxum guesses, and I agree.

Their arguments continue and the aggression doesn't lessen among them. If they keep going like this, one of them will get hurt. "Ok, that's enough," I yell, but they can't hear me over their noise. Draxum pulls me back, fear written in his eyes. "Hey! Enough!" I try once again. The only ones that pay any attention to me are Pele and her children and they are just as frightened at the scene in front of them as Draxum is.

I groan in frustration and look around me for something that could catch their attention. The only thing within reach is Inferno, so I quickly grab it from the ground and turn back towards the angry dragons. "I said, ENOUGH!" I scream as I bury the sword in the ground. The earth groans and quakes at the immeasurable strength of Inferno. A wide, jagged crack spreads from where I buried the blade towards the group.

All noise cease as they stare at the damage. "Stop fighting," I rub my eyes in exhaustion. "It won't help us get anywhere. My mind was just broken and mended all in one sitting, I had two strange encounters in my dreams, and I do not need to add a fight between dragons to the mix!" I glance at Rhydian's face, he's the only one not taken aback by what just happened. "We have two days left before we set out to continue our quest. I believe we should use the time to train." He nods in agreement.

I warily turn back and look at Pendragon. "I'm not sure why Merlin wanted me to greet you, but I will say that he has his reasons for helping me get this far." Everyone stays quiet. Drogon cautiously observes his mother's reaction to my words. I even brace myself for another ear-shattering roar, but none comes. "I know who he is to you, what he represents, but I can't help but wonder what he wants to accomplish."

I run a hand through my tangled mess of vibrant auburn hair. The painful knots cause me to wince. "The world is slowly changing for each of us," I take my time to look at everyone in the eye, "but we must move forward. I know now that Merlin was the one who broke the spell on my mind. Therefore, there's something that he wants me to rediscover in my memories. Us quarrelling won't help!" Trojan narrows his eyes at my tone.

I glare at him in return. "I apologize for our bruteness, mortal," Drogon finally speaks up. "Our troubles with the wizard are entirely complex. For him to appear, leaving his life of isolation, symbolizes something greater to us." I lazily sit in front of Inferno, which is still embedded in the ground. Its' rubies shimmer and glint with the firelight. "You being here is evidence of the upcoming conflicts that will all face. That sword is proof of that."