Chapter 23

Now

We finally make it up to the creek that Draxum talked about, and his description was not even close to how beautiful this place is. The creek is crystal blue with a small waterfall flowing through it. Flowers of different colors grow, surrounding the body of water. It's paradise.

"Ok," I clap my hands, "I'll bathe while you guys do anything else from anywhere else." Draxum awkwardly drops his eyes to the floor. Rhydian shifts uncomfortably and clears his throat. "We'll just-uh-clean your armor while you..." he smirks at me, "...bathe." Heat rises to the tip of my ears. Now it's my turn to feel uncomfortable.

I unstrap my breastplate and my elbow protectors. I take them all off and lay them down uniformly. Then, I continue to unstrap my blades and carefully place them next to each other. It takes me a moment to realize this, but I immediately notice what I did. Lancelot taught me how to handle armor in a professional manner and did just that in front of Rhydian. I blink away the memories threatening to surface. I step back as the last of it is off me. "Ok, well," I sigh, looking at each piece of armor, "Knock yourself out."

Rhydian surveys my work, raising his eyebrows with curiosity. For gods' sake, I keep forgetting he was on track to being a knight himself. Of course, he would notice the conducts and behaviors of knights. Quickly, before he asks me anything, I slip out of my shoes as walk towards the water. It's warm enough and perfectly soothing.

I pull my shirt overhead and dive headfirst. The world above muffles as I swim deeper into the creek. The water is practically translucent. I can see the aquatic life swim past me with the current. Swimming to the bottom, I flip to my back and watch my bright red hair float. The sunlight makes my hair way more ginger than it is.

My fingers comb through my dirty strands. I mentally sigh at the pleasure of rubbing my scalp. Pushing off the rocky bed, I lift myself up to the surface. My lips part with a relaxed sigh. I slip my trousers off and begin to rub my grimy skin.

When was the last time you've been this relax, Samsa? My eyes snap up in realization. Val, my name's Val. Valencia of Stormhold. I am not the same person I was in my previous lives. Remember who are you in this life, Valencia. Remember! Having two sets of past is not so easy to navigate. Satisfied that I've removed enough dirt from my trousers, I walk out.

"I'm coming out!"

The boys immediately turn around at my warning. I quickly put on my trousers and reach for my worn-out shirt. My soaked clothes cling to my skin, briefly making me regret rinsing them in the creek. I'd rather be wet than covered in dirt and sweat and grime. "Alright, I'm decent!" I call over my shoulder as I wring the water out of my hair.

My fingers begin to braid my long hair into one big fishtail. Seems fitting. "Wasn't that great, Val?" Draxum plops down next to me. "Oh, your clothes are wet." I laugh at the bewildered look on his face. "Yes, they are." I finish the braid by tying it with short strand of hair, wrapped around and tucked in on itself. "But you'll catch a cold!"

I flick my braid over my shoulder. "Trust me," I chuckle, "I won't catch a cold." Rhydian hands me my armor and I begin to strap them on, starting with my elbow protectors. "The Pendragons gave us some of their meats for us to eat," I hear Rhydian say, "but they won't last for too long. We don't have the materials to preserve them." As I put on my shoes, I meet Rhydian's gaze.

His hair is pushed back, away from his face. I think I prefer his hair messy. "Ok, then let us hope that we get to our next location without any hiccups," I squint up at the sun. "How far are we from the three-way border between Skritus, Aphrotre and Northstrong?"

"Five to ten miles, give or take," answers Rhydian.

That's all Rhydian says as we hear a twig snap in the forest behind us. We all exchange looks, before snatching out our weapons and stand at attention. Draxum with the bow, Rhydian with his spear, and me with my blade. "Who's there?" Rhydian calls out. The forest becomes still, quiet. I reach out to the magic in my veins and feel the air in our environment. My eyes focus on my targets.