Chapter 5

I am dressed and fully packed to go. The early morning sunlight is fresh and new to our village so there are a few people outside already but not enough to delay my departure. I weave through the streets leading to the Gate avoiding any early risers like me.

It wasn't easy getting to the Gate, especially since I had to go the other way around because of the demolished cottages from the attack two day ago. Has it really been two days? It's felt like more. Our last normal day-or what we considered normal-was three days ago. It seems like such an unrealistic phenomenon, but anything can happen in one day. Let alone two.

A few sharp turns later, a full view of the Gate appears in my line of vision. What the... I hide behind one of the closest buildings to me. Elder Chiara and Mikel are both arguing near the molding slabs of wood. I don't think I've ever seen them heatedly argue before. Then again, I don't think they have ever been the truthful Elders that they pretend to be anymore. My curiosity has been peaked.

I crouch down low and listen. "I'm telling you, Mikel," Chiara pleads, "Arathmus was there. I haven't been down in the Vault for years. Someone else must've gone down there." My breathing hitches at the mention of Arathmus. "Then, pray tell Chiara, who else could've know of the Vault? Let alone, have had the key to open the latch?"

Elder Chiara starts to pace in panic while wringing her wrists. "I didn't go in!" she shrieks. My eyes widen in surprise and a laugh slips out. "I swear it," she pleads, "Someone else used our turn with her. Someone knows something that they aren't supposed to. We have to do something before its out of our hands!" It already is, Elder. I shake my head in disbelief. Arathmus stayed in that basement, patiently waiting for the time she's needed, and then leaves to another person who need her insight. What a life.

"What's going on?"

I let out a tiny squeal before covering my mouth with my hand. "Gods, Draxum," I snap at him, "Next time, just tap my shoulder or something." He apologizes and turns to the Elders. "I won't be able to get past them without being noticed and it doesn't help that Elder Chiara is on the mend," I tell him. It doesn't seem like their conversation will be ending soon and I'm starting to get nervous. Whatever they need clearly depended on Arathmus and I stole their chance.

"I got this," Draxum takes off running towards the Elders. "Help! Elders, the Mist is back and it's heading towards the West square!" I mentally cringe at his plan. This will not end pretty but it'll get the job done, at least that's what I'm hoping. Elder Chiara and Mikel take off running towards the West while I take my opportunity. Running faster than I have ever done before, I cross the empty, open field that leads directly to the Gate. But, between my pack and Inferno, I make enough noise that attracts an unwanted audience. "Valencia?" I hear someone say my name behind me. "Valencia, no!" I hear quick footfalls behind me. I force my body to run faster, faster, faster!

It might've been in my head, but I could've sworn that the moment I pass the Gates, a gentle breeze pushed me forward. Almost expelling me out of Stormhold. I am quickly surrounded by giant evergreens and the shadows provided by them. The smell of pinecones and dirt is ecstasy. Everything is so green and alive. Something I've never seen with my own eyes. The world isn't as dull as I thought it was. I can hear the snap of twigs from the runner's footfalls behind me. I keep running further into the forest, hoping that my pursuer will give up, but they don't.

I have no choice. I unsheathe Inferno and swing my body around. "Let me go!" I yell out. "Easy," my pursuer says. They step towards me and pulls their hood down. I always drop Inferno from shock. "What the hell do you think you're doing, Draxum?" I practically scream at him. "You can't be here. Go back now!"

"No."

I blink at his response. One time. Two. Three. "No?" I grind my teeth. "That wasn't a suggestion, kid. It's too dangerous for you to be out here!" He stubbornly holds his chin out. "It's too dangerous for you too! You need a partner and I'm not letting you do this alone," his lips quiver in fear, making my heart squeeze at the sight. I sheath Inferno back onto my waist and hug him tightly. "You can come with me," I calmly say, "but if anything should happen to me, you run, without stopping, back to the village. Do you understand?" He nods eagerly so I let him go.