Chapter 50

The Nightcrawlers have arrived in a full herd. The dark entities have their eyes on my friends. They are all on the defense with their backs against each other and their weapons drawn. The danger in their faces matches the tension of the situation. My eyes finally catch Goosey's face, and I am devastated to find that it is ridden with frightened tears.

It's not a pretty sight now, is it?

A voice in my head speaks loud in clear. It isn't mine. It is hers. Whomever Guinevere spoke about is in my head now. I avert my gaze from Goosey and meet the curse straight on. It has taken a whole different stance. This feels different from my past interactions with Quikas. This time the mist moves more fluidly, more sensually. "The puppeteer," I greet her. Of course, it would be you to have woken me up like this, she says, It's prophetic, really.

I raise Inferno to Quikas' neck. "I'm not here to talk to you," I say and take a swing. Quikas dissipates and reappears in the same spot. The Nightcrawlers have now surrounded all of us. They are growling furiously and slowly advancing towards Rhydian and the rest.

Among all the chaos, I hear a distant roar coming from the sky. I stay in my offensive stance and wait for the incoming doom. You think that you were the only one with a surprise up your sleeve? My side has a lot more in store for you than you think. Between each lightning strike, I catch the glimpse of beastly, flying shadows weaving between the clouds. Alchetri Dragons.

"Val!" I hear them scream for me, but I don't turn. If I do that now, I'll hesitate.

"Potestatis ignium!" The gems on my blades come to life and they give me all my remaining strength. Quikas doesn't waste time in attacking and neither do I. We clash together with a thunderous echo. I can taste fear in this form, Samsa. It's palpable and thick. I wonder if it is all yours or if it's theirs. Shall we find out, Cursebreaker? I push her off my blades and go for the head again.

I get close enough to do some harm but traps me with one of her ghostly tentacles and slices clean through my side. I scream in pain as she retracts them. I refuse to fall to my knees in the presence of my enemy but inevitably fail.

Quikas forces me down to my knees. I am numb from all pain. She yanks my head to watch a scene unfold before us. You are cornered, Samsara. You are not enough. You are no match for us. You are no knight. You were given a power that was not meant for you! It was meant for ME!

Vera, Gawain and Rhydian are fighting against the Nightcrawlers. They are stabbing through the swarm of them that have decided to attack. I struggle against her hold on me but forces me back harder. Poor Goosey is doing her best with what she knows, while the twins cover the trios' back. They won't win. Sad, isn't it? Watching more of your knights perish by the very hand you were built to serve?

"I understand nothing."

Mmm, with everything you've discovered, you've truly learned nothing.

She pushes away, releasing me from her hold. I am curious to know how you broke my spell. You couldn't have done it on your own. I stand on my feet and face the beast has haunted me since I've begun this gods-forsaken journey. "You've obviously never been taught that there shouldn't be this much talking in a fight." Quikas laughs sarcastically as she steps slightly to the left. I watch the figure carefully. Whoever is behind the Questing Beast curse hasn't realized yet that their hold is slowly falling from their grasp.

I'm not sure what gave you the impression that I am a dirty, pathetic soldier, she spits out in plain disgust. And you weren't either! You were different. You were a commander of chaos! You were perfect before you turned into this pathetic shell of what you once were!