37

this song fit the chapter perfectly so here u go  : )

A month later.

''Did you get my email?'' Max asks as the two of us walk down the dull corridor of the tall building. She walks next to me with her arms occupied with piles of important papers, and I beside her with my handbag lazily slung over my shoulder with my workbook in the other arm. 

''I did, I'll make sure to do as you asked, Miss Levine.'' I respond politely. Soon enough, I'm reaching the door of my office. 

''Brielle, how many times have I told you? Call me Max.'' Max's flirtatious voice echoes through the quiet hallway and my cheeks tint red at the tone. 

This has been a common thing that I've noticed with Max ever since around the first week of joining this job. Having not been working here for too long, I'm not sure whether this is a mood she shares with the other employees but I don't mind it too much. It lifts my spirits, which is something I've been needing during the past month. 

''I apologize.'' I laugh it off whilst I multi-task in shoving my office key into the light, beige, metal door with very full hands. 

''I'll see you later, yeah?'' Max waits at the door for me to place my bag onto the floor and book onto my cluttered desk. 

''Of course.'' I smile kindly whilst I walk back to the door, clicking on the light that my hands were too full to turn on before. 

With that, Max is smiling back before walking slightly further down into the hallway towards her office, which just so happens to be right next to mine. I shut my door and get straight to work, knowing full well I have mounds of work to catch up on that's piled up over the weekend. 

I love this job but the worst thing about it has got to be getting back after the weekend to all of the customer complaints that have been filed and having to respond to them. 

Getting lost in the work, I have no idea how long I've had my nose dug into the computer screen until my phone is ringing from my large handbag beneath my desk, having me retrieve the mobile to catch a glance at the time before I'm answering the call. 

''Do you think it's too early to tell Jamie about the baby yet?'' Katie's stressed sigh is the first thing I'm hearing when I'm answering the phone and it has me looking up to make sure that the door is closed in fear of getting caught on the phone at work. 

''I think now is a perfect time.'' I answer truthfully whilst clicking the speaker icon on my screen, setting the phone down onto my wooden desk before I return back to switching between my computer and notebook in front of me, reading something on the large screen to then jot it down on the paper in front of me. 

''I'm shitting myself about this, Bri.'' She groans and I hear an impact in the background of the call. I assume she's just thrown herself onto her mattress. 

''Katie, he loves you and he'll love you even fucking more when he finds out!'' I say in a convincing tone, pulling back from my computer to give her my full attention. ''He's gonna' be so happy, you'll wish you'd have told him sooner.'' 

''I know it's just..'' She drags out with an annoyed groan. ''Why is it so difficult? I have no idea what to say! Just be like, 'Oh yeah, I'm having your baby. Deal with it.' or.. 'Ha! You're stuck with me for the next eighteen years! I got you good, J!'' She speaks into the speaker and her false scenarios have me choking out a laugh.